or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Yeah, but ... I've read where a lot of the original OS X code was reimplemented and "done right" for iOS -- then ported back to the mothership.
Yes, there's that ...One of the techs that really interests me is instant replay -- where turn-around time is more important than image quality.For example, if you prepare in advance you can do the second part of this video highlight (the full-color within a shape, and gray background outside the shape) in a about 7 seconds using FCPX on a decent Mac.The second video involves accurately highlighting only the player outline and the ball outline. This involves tedious,...
 What is of most interest to me:Measuring dimensions facilitates indoor mapping/navigation and complements Apple's purchase of WiFiSLAM.3D Object modeling facilitates gesture recognition (ala MS Kinect) -- and complements Apple's purchase of PrimeSense.Real-time background replacement in video has lots of possibles -- such as a bokeh effect to highlight the subject by blurring the background.The latter could be used for immediate instant-replay highlighting -- such as a...
 We are beginning to see the lines blur between iOS and OS X.Since March 09 2015, with Xcode, we have been able to construct a single app package that targets Macs, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch and iCloud.https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/samplecode/Lister/Introduction/Intro.htmlI suspect, that most all of the underlying Xcode frameworks have been rethought, modernized and reimplemented in Swift.I'd bet we'll see a further blurring of the lines between...
  Your post came at the end of my active day, so I chose not to respond immediately -- but to reflect and give it the attention it deserves.I supect that your appraisal of the programming language landscape is fairly accurate, tho (bless her soul) Grace Hopper's CoBOL has survived longer than anyone would have believed (Thought the Y2K fiasco would have been the death knell).My history is dated, but includes many, but not all, of the programming languages you mention --...
Yes!And almost every one of these Apple/IBM announcements will involve IT support at the various enterprises ...IT will want to write their own apps to interface the Apple/IBM offerings ...Likely, the IT apps will be written in Swift on Macs to interface the Apple/IBM apps running on iDevices and IBM's cloud.It's hard to see any downside to this.
That's an interesting question.Apple has said they are not interested in looking at (or having access to) your personal health data.However, the way it could be handled is:IBM provides secure backend services (including private medical records, analytics, etc.) to healthcare providersThe provider could obtain the patient's authorization to:  use the IBM services;  allow Apple submission of their individual HealthKit/ResearchKit data to IBM.I think that both the aggregate...
I think that all but the interface stuff could (should?) be made available as a rewritten Foundation library.And an immediate benefit to Apple is that anyone who teaches/learns the new, open source Swift implementation is, by definition, conversant in modern Apple programming. Edit:To my mind the big issue is the UI stuff -- can Apple provide a useable UI Library without giving away the family jewels?A possible approach may be a higher level implementation of...
Ahh ... that's the beauty of it! Give it away and keep it too     I guess the NS prefix will morph into Native Swift or New Swift.Apple could use Swift internally, and make it available to Apple developers as a:iOS and OSX programming languagesystem level scripting language replacing OAS/AppleScript/AutomatorPro app (Final Cut. Motion, etc.) scripting languagesame for iWorks appsiTunes, Photos, iBooks, etc. helpersiCloud helperspossible new HyperCard-like app --...