or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Me too! I really tried learn ObjC -- but never got comfortable with the syntax and seeming, everyone, has his own esoteric version of Best Coding practices!I think one of the most promising potentials of Swift is to simplify the effort to create frequently-used/commonly-used constructs such as a lists/tableviews.You could encapsulate these in something like a JSON packet that contained everything needed to display, access, update and manipulate the content ...no...
I am certainly no Swift expert, but couldn't you implement those with extensions or some such?I realize that's not as satisfactory as having it encapsulated in the language ...Though, I get the impression that Lattner and his team are quit open to improving the language -- things like:try/catchprint instead of printlnmarkdownYou might consider filing a feature request -- especially before it goes open source! 
Love to join you and contribute any way I can ...My stuff will be Apple-oriented, and hopefully, at a higher level than drivers or flogging 'Nix at the CLI level ** I did a lot of that a few years back ... but I find as I've gotten older my brain has filled up -- every time I learn a new technology, my brain forgets one that I already know (knew). CoBOL, Pascal, RPG ... BASIC, Perl, Objective-C ... What are those?Anyway let me know by PM or on an AI thread, here -- when...
I don't know where you get this stuff ... php, for example, runs server-side on any 'Nix server.Here's a quote from StackOverflow:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24235974/can-you-use-swift-as-a-web-programming-languageSeveral of the answers, though, are over-complicating the question as are you.FWIW, Years ago, a fellow ColdFusion developer and I, were able to configure and run a total CFMX environment from a CD ... Web Server, Web Application Server, CFMX (Blue...
Open Sesame is a command, not a Bagel
Here's a online Swift Playground implementation:http://www.swiftstub.comSwiftStubImports are disabled and Foundation is automatically imported for you.Type some Swift code.Run your code by just typing and waiting 3 seconds.OR Run your code with Ctrl-Enter(Win), Command-Enter(Mac).Save with Ctrl-S(Win), Cmd-S(Mac)Check @swiftstubstatus for realtime system updates.My name is Skip Wilson, and this is the original online Swift REPL.You should check out my popular Swift...
You are assuming that just because scripts written in Java or Flash are insecure that scripts written in Swift will be insecure -- that need not be true! And the fact that they are compiled makes reverse engineering them more difficult.Why would a compiled Swift script passed to a browser to be executed by the underling OS be any less secure than the Browser (or any app) written in Swift and executed by the underlying OS.?Again we disagree! web sites that use less...
I'd bet on it! When Apple announced Swift, they presented it as a System Programming Language and everything below!
By the end of this year, developers will be coding their apps and testing their apps on an iPad Pro.This includes apps targeted at the desktop, client-server, mobile, phone and wearables.
But MS will ... And Apple has at least a year lead time!This move, and the timing, is absolutely brilliant!