or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Mmm ... I'm pretty positive about Developer betas ... Not so much about Public Betas ... I don't mind the Public Betas per se -- it's just that they seem to monopolize Apple Engineers who's time could be spent more productively. A couple of examples: WWDC2015 had lots of sessions (available on video) that demonstrate new features by showing/running code examples. In past WWDCs most of the code examples from the sessions were made available (warts and all). Not so...
Thx for your knowledgeable perspective!
It appears that are lots of possibilities with AppleWatch 2 and beyond -- it is not insignificant that almost all the Apple/IBM Mobile First offerings include Apple Watch as well as iPad & iPhone!
I wonder if XPoint could be used to replace SRAM function -- which would also offset costs -- especially for things like the Apple Watch:The 4Gb of SRAM is instead of 512 MB of DRAM,IDK the price of SRAM, but I think it is more expensive than DRAM.
According to the keynote (link from my previous post), the first product is a 128 GB chip. They showed a wafer and the chips appeared about the size of a DRAM chip. On my iMac 5K, the SSD is 128 GB -- so 8 of these chips would be required. disk0s2: Media Name: APPLE SSD SD0128F Media Size: 120.99 GB (120,988,852,224 bytes) Medium Type: SSD Protocol: PCI Internal: Yes Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table) Status: Online S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified PV...
Jack Purcher over at Patently Apple has some good videos on this tech -- including the Keynote, with Q&A. http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/07/intel-micron-introduce-3d-xpoint-memory-that-will-advance-8k-gaming-siri-hand-gesturing-and-advanced-biometrics.html IDK, if this signifies anything ... The Keynote exec from Intel is named: Rob Crooke   
Mmm ... The more I think about it, this tech has some real possibilities in: low-memory where speed is a consideration -- AppleTV, Routers, HomeKit Controllers and accessories, SmartTVs, etc. low memory where speed is not a consideration -- appliances, such as refrigerators, washer/dryers, etc. For the latter, cost would be the major issue -- as the memory would last longer than the appliance.
What if they could offset the additional cost with less battery, smaller size, replace SRAM/DRAM/Flash at acceptable performance.It could really affect current wearables like the Apple Watch -- and open up whole new possibilities for future wearables.
Hmm ...If so, the same tech could be use to hold the pixels of the display. My iMac 5K has a resolution of:Display Type: Retina LCDResolution: 5120 x 2880 RetinaRetina: YesPixel Depth: CGSThirtyBitColorMain Display: YesMirror: OffOnline: YesBuilt-In: YesSo, if my math is correct, that's 5120 x 2880 x 30That's ~55 MB of Display storage that can be refreshed anywhere from a single pixel color (out of 30) on up to whatever ...
Also the more granular reads and writes should reduce battery requirements. Something like AppleWatch 2 could use this instead of both RAM and Flash!