or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I have been dealing with Apple for 36 years (July 1978). They have always tried to make the best products and put their customer's first.Apple, like many US companies is driven by the profit motive -- return a fair profit to Apple's [owners and] investors. Without profit, there are no Apple Products, Apple Employees, Apple Customers -- in fact, there is no Apple.Apple has always been prudent where costs and hardware are concerned -- my 1978 Apple ][ came with 4K RAM,...
Hey Relic ...Good response. I am glad you are standing up for Wizard! I don't always agree with Wizard, but respect his technical knowledge/experience -- and his willingness to share them (offer assistance to others).From @Mac-sochist, above:I am not knowledgeable of the state-of-the-art on RAM technology ... Though, what @Mac-sochist is describing is Dynamic RAM or DRAM -- and yes, it must be refreshed continuously. Another kind of RAM is Static RAM, or SRAM. This...
In all honesty, I don't think that Apple wants to be in that business (heavy regulated) and compete with the banks ... yet.
One way it could work: as Sol mentioned, the AppleWatch enters an active state when it is put on the wrist -- which lasts until the watch is removed.To enable the watch for ApplePay, the user could use TouchID to authorize the watch one time (until de authorized or the watch is removed). As part of the authorization, the AppleWatch gets and saves the cc pseudo cc numbers.Then, the iPhone could go back in the pocket or purse.To ApplePay with an authorized AppleWatch, you...
IMO, the most significant [Apple] announcements in 2014 (so far):ApplePayNew Openness of Apple and Developer SDKsAppleWatchiPhone 6IBM Apple dealSwift / Xcode 6You could argue between 3 and 4 -- the iP6 is the lubrication ($ and scale) that make it all work -- but, I believe that iWatch will have a greater impact over the long term -- making it ridiculousy easy to buy things with ApplePay.And, we ain't seen nothin' yet!
Exactly!I posted elsewhere, that a friend got a new cc from BofA/Visa. As an incentive, they gave her $200 immediate cashback when she charged a total of $1,500 -- a 13% reward!Consider, that it was a reward for processing insecure transactions (many were card-not-present) ... and associated risks. But, with TouchID, iP6 and ApplePay -- the risk goes to almost nothing.I suspect that these cc/banks will wake up and offer incentives (subsidies?) for customers to buy and...
So, the cheer changes from:to:
Dumb question???These A8 chips (and A8X) are very inexpensive compared to Intel chips. Would anything be gained by using 2, or even 4 A8s instead of a single multicore Intel chip? Isn't that what Intel does on its Xeons?
No ... That'd be me ...
If you look a gift horse in the mouth, and detect the scent of ginger -- you're at the wrong end of the horse.