or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I think that, for the Apple Watch product line, they may be an ATO (assemble-to-order) company -- at least for the initial release, until they get a demand history.Likely. in the next few months they will tweak the case/band combinations to have off-the-shelf (standard stock) SKUs and ATO SKUs.
I understand that ... but, say, you have to chose among several passes, credit cards, suggested answers to a notification, options ... For some things its hard to beat a scrolling list -- and, AFAIK, that's best done in a square format (you'd lose too much display space by imposing a round format).
New tech dictates new form ...How do you scroll a list of say 5-10 Credit cards for Apple Pay ... wheel of fortune?
Since it's all speculation ... what if they had 2 million -- or even 1 million ... and sold out within 6 hours ...
I ordered 5 (separate orders) between 12:16 PM PDT and 12:29 PM PDT. The first and last were: 3/24 - 5/8 ... The 3 others were 4-6 weeks.Here's the last:At 12: 29 PM PDTApple store Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Ordered on Apr 10, 2015Thank you for your order.We'll let you know when your items are on their way.Items to be ShippedShipment 1 Delivers: 4/24-5/8 by Standard ShippingApple Watch Sport 38mm Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band$349.00
My hunch is that certain case colors (space gray and space black) are more difficult to make / have lower yields ... and that they offered these in fewer combinations -- and these were in popular demand ... dark case for a black screen ...And, they totally underestimated day 1 orders -- or are manufacturing constrained -- or both!
Here's the way that I suspect that Jeff Williams has set up production for the sport and the watch:There are 4 case styles x 2 sizes == 8 case SKUs:al silver x2al space gray x2ss silver x2ss space black x2There are some large number of case/size/band combos ...Pre 4//10 -- Based on forecast demand, case SKUs were assembled and sport/watch assembly stations were setup -- ranging from:a single case SKU (style and size) and a single band SKUa single case SKU (style and size)...
That's amazing!I can remember the (long gone) halcyon days of the US Post Office -- when a letter mailed from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the US would arrive in one day (except no Sunday delivery)!
... To conquer death, you only have to die ...
I suspect that @knowitall is @gatorGuy's new forum name ...BS Post, change the subject ... move on!