or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Apple Maps will often show a recommended route and several alternate routes ... You can select a different route to make it the current route.As for constructing a route by creating waypoints: Apple maps does not provide the user with this route creation capability.However, an Apple Map can be made to plot or follow a route created externally.It is rather an involved process involving several apps ... I haven't done this in 2 years and the world (maps, OSes, apps) has...
If, in fact, Apple has pulled the plug on a new AppleTV announcement -- it could be for one or more reasons: lack of content deals unfinished hardware unfinished software necessary infrastructure not ready To me, the last reason is the most likely. If everything else were in place, inadequate infrastructure would undermine the announcement if it couldn't deliver the results (content) promised. I suspect that the content delivery infrastructure includes iCloud --...
I don't think they'll put ads in maps. Rather, I suspect they'll provide some quality, free mapping services -- which requires/assumes up-to-date, reliable map data.In addition, Apple could offer some compelling paid mapping options -- there's more to mapping than just maps and navigation.For example, I would expect tourist destinations with poor economies, like Greece, to be falling all over each other to pay Apple to gather and create 3D Flyover maps of their country. ...
So, I infer that you must have an online connection to use the software.If so, are there companion apps that can be used when no Internet connection is available -- or when only cell is available and it would be too slow or costly to stay connected for a long time?To my mind, I would expect a subscribed service would allow me to:validate my subscription online (monthly, annually)work online when available and practicalwork offline when necessaryIf the app is compute...
Does that mean that the app cannot be used if Internet access is not available?Wouldn't it be better to have an offline (downloaded app) capability that expired after a month (or whenever the subscription ended)?As you can guess -- I don't use any subscription apps except Apple iCloud -- and those apps are available off line.
Yeah, browser plugins aren't ideal ...How do others (MS and Adobe) handle their proprietary software (Office and Photoshop) that are accessable online for a monthly subscription?
I suspect that most drivers wouldn't contribute while moving ... maybe stalled in traffic, though. A passenger would be more likely to contribute.In many cases, using something like Siri to generate a short text would not be too distracting.
Hmmm ... Apple Maps ... Web-based ... JavaScript ... plus Apple tech:  3D Flyover;  Street View;  Indoor Mapping;  AR, Route Planning;  PushPin Interactive Mapping ... How can Apple do all this on the web and provide acceptable performance -- without giving away the store and Apple's competitive advantage??? Not too long ago, a solution would be to use HTML/CSS/JavaScript around the edges -- but to use something like a proprietary Flash or Java runtime (Browser Plugin)...
Hmm ... Maps ... Web-based ... JavaScript ...After rereading the article I was reminded that Apple bought a mapping company named PlaceBase in 2009:http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/01/apple_purchased_google_maps_competitor_placebase_reportOne of the unusual capabilities provided by PlaceBase was access to demographic data from many different sources. It would use this demographic data to create overlays for standard maps yielding maps showing things like:crime...
Mmm ... we have Phillips Hue -- purchased on-line when first available. We have had zero problems, except for an occasional power failure. We use the Hue app every day to control downstairs reading lights, night lights;  and upstairs bedroom lights/nite lights.We have more problems with the ATT Uverse Modem and cable box bridge. About once a week, the modem hiccoughs and all the WiFi devices get switched to the ATT WiFi (which doesn't work) from the Apple WiFi. And the...