or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

You just grabbed the brass ring!
Some interesting questions to consider ... From the 3 different perspectives -- Apple, IBM, Customer/Customer IT How much does each invest -- time. $ and resources What does each provide -- hardware, software, services and information Who sells what to whom -- when, how much, how often How are the deliverables maintained and enhanced over time Follow the money and find the ponies ...
I totally agree with that! As I said earlier, bindings are poorly implemented, and documented ...But that does't mean it has to be that way. I would like to see a higher-level of specifying bindings for a project -- maybe a checkbox to use bindings when creating a project similar to "Use Core Data". Then some intelligent automatic generation of defaults -- for example when using IB, Bindings and Core Data -- IB could generate and populate an Array Controller with...
I have not maintained apps with bindings over time -- but I suspect that they are difficult to maintain. Likely, much of this is due to the implementation:  poor or no defaults; lack of "how to" documentation;   and the fact that required bits and pieces are all over the place. I suspect that this is why bindings are currently unavailable in iOS -- they want to implement it in a better way.I am new to Core Data ... Here, too, some of the defaults are poor, and the UI...
Here's an example of a swap of a live running FoundationDB from one Cloud Service to another:https://foundationdb.com/videos/foundationdb-hot-cloud-swapThis demonstrates fault tolerance of FoundationDB.If you are correct about Apple using Cassandra and replacing it with FoundationDB -- this explains some of the advantages:http://pages.foundationdb.com/cassandra_vs_foundationdbFinally, I'm an old RDBMS user -- so I never bothered with Core Data on OS X or iOS. I took some...
Mmm ... I wonder how this relates to Apple's purchase of Anobit last year and FoundationDB this month. Anobit used software to get enterprise class performance and reliability from inexpensive flash. One FoundationDB forte is getting performance and reliability from clustered SSDs at a reasonable price. As a side note, SQLite is available as an embedded db for OS X and iOS. The next version of SQLite (v4) exposes the underlying data model and data store. It turns...
Yes!Using Siri on Apple Watch, Apple will have access to Watson from Apple's [tic] IBM Subsidiary ...
Except, Apple could leave CoreData as is -- and Implement FoundationDB alongside it -- ala Obj-C and Swift.Also, I suspect that Apple has been looking to acquire a modern db and has been experimenting with FoundationDB for a while now:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoundationDBApple could certainly implement shadow FoundationDBs of whatever they use internally for production. Then, it can be a rather rigorous, but straight-forward process to stress test, validate and...
Mmm ...There is a rather obvious missing platform ,,, 64-bit iOS.I suspect we'll see iOS devices, real soon now, that meet the hardware requirements * -- Apple TV/Hub/Home Server and iPad Pro come to mind.* and that there will be a scaled [down] version for smaller iDevices.
I think you're both onto something!Modern Language + Modern DB + Modern UI == My Happiness!My Happiness == it's easy to keep track of my stuff!I suspect, rather than extend CoreData -- Apple will replace it with a scalable FoundationDB -- and the constructs will be built into Swift and Storyboards.KV pairs (hashes/dictionaries) are integral to OSX and iOS (Xcode) -- tho, some of the implementation is kludgey and showing its age.Here, Apple has the opportunity to address a...