or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Yep! I'm thinking that the first 2014 iDevice that Apple will release -- will be a new AppleTV with ac, likely an A7X APU, with more RAM more Flash storage ...Apple has said that iOS 8 will run on the A7 chips -- that means new APIs including Metal -- Console-quality games anyone?Since the AppleTV is headless, Apple has implemented it with a specialized version of iOS -- that need not be tied to the formal release of iOS for the iPhone, iPad ...
I've read somewhere that NFC could be used too speed up recognizing and connecting to BLE and WiFi devices. If true, then it could certainly improve the shopping and checkout experiences involving iBeacons and WiFi.
Question for anyone who got the public beta ... Did/can you get XCode6 beta 4 too? I ask, because the Xcode beta includes the Swift Language and interactive Swift Playgrounds.
Your comments, and my monthly retirement check from IBM, are making me feel good about Big Blue again
Actually, it was the third  thing out of their mouths when describing Swift:They didn't dwell on code safety other than showing some unsafe constructs in Obj-C that go away with Swift -- it's kind of hard to demonstrate.
Yes!Swift Playgrounds is (are?) addicting!   A missing piece is interactive integration with the Storyboards UI ...I suspect that in a future release of Xcode you'll be able define and test the UI interactively,You can kinda do this now:'If you click the eye icon in the sidebar, the UITableView will be displayed in a popup -- can't scroll it, though ... yet!
Another productivity benefit of Swift is the Swift Compiler is not forgiving -- it rigorously checks for proper syntax, constants and variables must be initialized, Optionals, etc.It pretty much guarantees that if an app compiles it will not crash at runtime. (The programmer can overtly make constructs that will cause runtime crashes -- but he knows when he is doing it).
Mmm ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Lattnerhttps://developer.apple.com/swift/
True ... but there will be some diamonds among the dross!Just think, some school kid learning to program properly with Interactive Swift Playgrounds ...I suspect that somewhere inside Apple -- someone is programming with Swift Playgrounds running on an iFad.
What's seldom mentioned is that enterprise programmers (IT?) will, likely, be writing their mobile apps using Xcode/Swift -- running Macs.