or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I have a mid 2011 iMac 27". OS X Yosemite (all betas) see the dongle but do not support it for HandOff, HealthKit, etc.I don't know about recent updates to Mavericks.
That's the other shoe that Apple hasn't dropped yet.It could be something as simple as an iPod with NFC (no cell radio, etc.).I've read that a NFC Terminal costs about $1,200 US ... if so, there's room for NFC iDevices used as anything from a dumb NFC Terminal (reader) -- to a complete NFC/POST at very reasonable prices.
Yes, BLE (4.0) is required -- didn't appear on most Macs until late 2011.BLE dongles do not work.
Maybe he is using that self-defecating humor /s
Many people (adults with credit cards) don't walk or sit around with their iPhone in their hand (it's considered rude and anti-social) -- they keep it in their pocket or purse and pull it out when needed.So, my point is valid!
Sigh … I have a mid 2011 iMac and it doesn't work on it. I even got a BLE dongle, but that didn't work either.Ggg
If you watch the video with the woman making a payment using a credit card and then using ApplePay on an iPhone 6 -- it's kind of interesting. The woman had to dig in her purse to get out of her wallet and get the credit card out of the wallet. What they didn't show -- the woman would've had to dig in her purse to get out of the iPhone 6 to pay with ApplePay ... Not quite so convenient.With the AppleWatch, paying is totally convenient -- no digging or fumbling around ......
I'd go one step further -- I'd carry an iPad Mini if it had the same capabilities (TouchID/AutoPay, GPS, telephony, camera, fitness, etc.) over any phone. I make and receive few phone calls -- and am too old to worry about looking dorky using an iPad as a phone or camera.Then, when the AppleWatch arrives, I'll use it for the phone calls and ApplePay.
Another thing ... At the end of the keynote, Tim said he used his AppleWatch to control his AppleTV. Likely, using WiFi, but possibly IR or BLE ... Something like a WiiMote ... My AppleTV can't do that!
Interesting about the NFC terminal ... I didn't realize it was portable. In the US, I've read they cost about $1,200 per terminal.Your understanding of the AppleWatch for ApplePay jibes with mine -- Once TouchID enabled, I can buy things with my iWatch -- until they pry it from my cold, dead, hands (or I take it off),