or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I read somewhere, recently, that Apple is a major user of AWS.
18,000 Sinofskys + 1 Ballmer + 1 Gates ... Ballsy move! Nadella just bought 3 envelopes ...
I strongly suspect that IBM Is, or soon will be, writing apps in Swift. My last job at IBM was technical market support for CICS -- IBM's premier transaction-processing development system, AIR, in 1978, IBM had over 3,000 installations of the IBM/360 DOS version -- leased at ~ $3,500 per month (1978 $) ... not too bad back then.I surfed around to see if I could find the current CICS install base -- no luck. Visited the IBM site -- Public direction statement: ...
This may help -- here's a one-paragraph summation -- one six-word sentence, actually (emphasis mine):http://verynicewebsite.net/2014/07/making-sense-of-apple-and-ibm/via GruberIDK, who at Apple was quoted -- but it sounds like something Tim would say!
Ahhh ... You go back through the Allaire --> MacroMedia --> Adobe years of CF.I haven't done any for pay web sites since 2001.But, I did port Linux CFMX to OS X in 2002 (with some behind-the-scene help from MacroMedia employees)http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/08/08/coldfusion_three.htmlOnce the port was proven viable, MacroMedia decided to support CFMX on the Mac (with some behind-the-scene lobbying by MacroMedia employees). They, originally supported the...
I did a lot of Perl and JavaScript, some php ... most of my paid development was database-driven and I found ColdFusion to be much easer to program and read -- didn't need to mess with connections, timeouts, errors, forgetting to close;  had concise, self-documenting, high-level code. You could include Java/JavaScript components if you needed more granular control.One of the problems with many languages (especially Perl and APL) is you couldn't read your own code 6...
WOT: There was a TV Show in the 1960s called the Defenders with father and son lawyers -- E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed (Bradey Bunch). One episode in particular, involved the defense of an Exotic Dancer. The next morning, a local radio DJ (AIR, Dick Whittinghill) was discussing the show ...  He thought he'd have a little fun while Mom was cooking breakfast, so he dug out a (then obscure) record and talked over it ... Something like: ... "flip those eggs" ... "Now,...
Mmm ... Does the IRS do any business in Massachusetts
Through MR, BGR reports that Apple will release the next beta of iOS 8 (and Yosemite?, Xcode 6?, and AppleTV?) next Monday.http://bgr.com/2014/07/16/apple-ios-8-download-beta-4-release-notes/The last release (beta 3) included a lot of Swift changes -- bug fixes, syntax cleanup, playground enhancements. You can run all of this on current Mavericks OS X.XCode 6 is the key here -- that's where the Swift language resides, and all the new (and newly-exposed) APIs. For example...
"Interactive development and testing with Swift is kind of fun", said Tim, playfully!