or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Good question!Maybe somewhat mitigated by USB 3.1.
The whole industry doesn't make both the hardware and the OS.
If you really think about it: Motorola 68000--->PowerPC--->Intel--->ARM
Here's an interesting read:http://memkite.com/blog/2014/12/15/data-parallel-programming-with-metal-and-swift-for-iphoneipad-gpu/I don't know how applicable this approach would be for most apps -- but with relative ease, the author was able to use Swift and Metal to exploit the CPUs and GPUs for a specific task. In a link he reports that this scales from 20x faster to 75x than other...
That sounds reasonable!Here's a what if:What if Apple decides it needs, say, 32 cores for a so-called power user machine ... because the normal power user needs 4-8 cores ... but Apple needs the other cores to provide Intel virtualization in a very-specific, customized to the ARM hardware, VM?Right now, an Intel chip virtualizes x86 CISC instructions in real-time and then runs them as RISC code. Do you think that 24 A9X ARM cores could do the equivalent?
I predict it will usher in a new breed of computers spanning ARM-only, ARM and Intel, and Intel-only ... for mobile, desktops, servers ...And they will include  in the name!
I suspect that the first manifestation of this for desktop Macs will be something like an iMac with:standard n A9X APUsBTO option for additional A9X APUsBTO option for an additional Intel CPUBTO option for GPU for use with Intel CPUSo, you could configure to your needs and the price you are willing to pay.Some additional things to consider ...Today, most of the major 3rd-party apps are available for Mac and Web as well as for Windows.MS Office already runs on Apple ARM...
Try again ... I'm just a regular developer (although a really nice person -- I OTA upgraded my iP 6+ and dloaded the new Xcode beta from the iOS Developer site ...Everything seems OK ...
Consider iOS as a platform -- Normally, for an actively evolving platform there are several separate supported packages:the prior released platform -- iOS 7.x available or some prior hardwarethe prior released maintenance platform -- iOS 7.x+1 available or some prior hardware -- maintenance updates, e.g. securitythe current release platform -- iOS 8.1.2 -- available on all iPhones back to the iP4Sthe next planned update to the current release platform -- iOS 8.2 beta,...