or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

A while back, I suggested using a lens/mirror concept for light -- similar to what a folded horn does for sound ... for a super-flat camera in an iPhone.I did some surfing and there had been research in that area -- but most of it was over 10 years ago.
Let me jump in, again ...The big disruption I see is ApplePay ...But the key to put a $0-$50 [subsidized?] device in the hands of billions of users worldwide. By definition, the device must include: ApplePay, phone, web, mail ... which requires UI, radios, TouchID.
I think the A8X (and tablet acceptance) will come into it's own in at least these ways:increased sales of iPad Air 2 to consumersincreased sales of a new AppleTV/Home Hub/Server/Game Controllernew use of iPads as personal TVs and gaming devicesenterprise/institutional use of iPads including the new iPad Pro 12"professional use of iPads including the new iPad Pro 12"Some [much?] of the acceptance will be a result of the Apple/IBM partnership ... and as people,...
Yes! Not only have they done that several times before, but they are designing their OSes and IDE to facilitate moving both the OS and apps to different architectures.For years now, Apple has been dragging developers forward (sometimes kicking and screaming) to use new concepts like Storyboards, ARC, and new tools like clang, llvm ...Supposedly, this began in 2005 with the hiring of Chris Lattner!The latest piece of the puzzle is Swift. Swift scales from simple scripting...
Correct me If I'm wrong ... AIR, Apple Developed Thunderbolt tech and licensed it to Intel!
Good stuff ... I don't know all I understand about it ...Just to add some more spice(s) to the pot(s):ARM isn't the only alternative -- for example there is the MIPS RISC CPU architecture, * which seems to be getting some press of late.MIPS was used in SGI graphics workstations -- which ran circles around everything else in the late 1980s-1990sInteresting -- the MIPS CPU IP is owned by Imagination Technologies -- whose GPU IP is used in the A8X...
Bingo!http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/21/WatchOS ...  ApplleTV ...  Home ...  iOS ...  OSX ...  Script ...   ===> OSScript witt include:ad hoc low-level device scripting -- Terminal Scripting -- already availablead hoc higher-level device scripting -- OAS, AppleScript/Automator replacementad hoc high-level device app scripting ala HyperCardserver-side web app programming/scripting ala PHP, Ruby, ColdFusion, etcclient-side browser scripting...
While some, here (and on other AI threads) are grousing that Apple needs to do this or that to satisfy this or that perceived need ... Let me offer my 2 cents! IMO, Apple's greatest challenge (and potential) in the next 2 years is to bring [a form of] ApplePay to the masses (billions of people) -- worldwide! To do that, they need an inexpensive [or subsidized] device that will cost $0-$50 out of pocket. I don't know if Apple can deliver a profitable iPhone with TouchID...
There are plenty of use cases where 16 GB is more than adequate for an iDevice ...For example the autistic or speech challenged can use Proloquotogo (shown earlier), small business POST terminals, installers, tradesmen, kids. emerging markets ...Not everyone needs 32 GB!Also, the lower price point provides an entry to the Apple iDevice culture for people with limited funds -- who would rather do without than, buy crap..Finally, I for one, am getting tired of your constant...
Mmm ... Hadn't even thought of using Proloque2go for stroke victims, etc. and the elderly ... Wow!I downloaded the latest update on my iPhone 6+ (hadn't tried it there) -- works great!The 6+ would be a handy size for many users.