or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Mmm ... PBR ... What about DOB?
In desert areas, where heat islands are most noticeable, the roof surfaces are usually painted silver or white to reflect the sun/heat. Replacing this with dark-colored solar cells would cause these areas to absorb heat. So, while providing electricity generation -- they could actually make the heat islands worse ...
It is interesting to me, the posts of people on this thread who, because of our age -- likely, will be least effected by the long-term effects. We'll be dead before the issues we're discussing have any effect ... Yet, we appear to be the most concerned, and advise to proceed with caution.My reasons -- I've had a pretty good life, in a world left in pretty good shape by my forbearers ... I'd like to continue that process!Now, I must go ... I have an appointment with...
Actually, while I don't want to debate climate change ...If the recent trends to solar farms prove to be cost justified, wouldn't Apple and others implement this on a much larger scale -- thousands or millions of acres of solar farms, NIMBY ...I suspect they would -- and eventually solar farms could outweigh the current contributors to climate change.All I am suggesting is that we should consider the consequences -- lest we create a solution that is worse than the...
How about marshes, tidal areas and swamp lands?Edit: and Detroit and the South side of Chicago ... 
Your case for the specific use of land for this Apple solar farm may be valid. But, multiply that by a thousand, or hundreds of thousands who might follow in Apple's steps ...Also, many (if not most) forest fires are a natural occurrence -- caused by lightening ...Temporary scorching of the land is part of the renewal process for some trees ...
A friend once explained to me that the cosmos is an entropy -- anything we do to change it, [for the better] makes it worse ...
I am in favor of this but have some concerns/questions. It appears that Apple has made a way to make this financially attractive -- that is good, and as an AAPL shareholder, I welcome it. I don't want to get into the whole global warming, settled science, green is good discussion -- those subjects are too pregnant with opportunity for personal, political and financial exploitation. I have, both, used solar power to advantage (heating a large swimming pool) -- and to...
http://9to5mac%2ecom/2015/02/10/wil-shipley-swift/
Code:class ViewController: UIViewController{ @IBOutlet weak var display: UILabel! var userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber = false var brain = CalculatorBrain() @IBAction func appendDigit(sender: UIButton) { let digit = sender.currentTitle! if userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber { display.text = display.text! + digit } else { display.text = digit userIsInTheMiddlefTypingANumber = true } }From...