or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Not at all! Not what I meant. If anyone could solve software problems by throwing hardware [more cores] at it, it would be Apple because they have the expertise and control of the entire stack -- in the case of ARM and iOS/OSX ... and significant leverage to get special treatment from Intel, etc.I posted earlier that:A current Intel CPU chip, in real-time, interprets x386 CISC instructions and translates/executes them as RISC (ARM-like) instructionsHow much of the...
Based on some of the bugs reported, anomalies in Xcode/Swift/APIs, rapid evolution of Swift, and [Apple Engineer] comments on the developer forums -- I think you are right on (for iOS too)!The IBM/Apple partnership will drive this effort for mobile (iOS) -- and IT (OS X) to support mobile. I would SWAG that the rewrites are 50% done and will be 90%-100% done by WWDC 2015. I think there are significant code safety and speed advantages to this.I suspect that many planned...
Good question!Maybe somewhat mitigated by USB 3.1.
The whole industry doesn't make both the hardware and the OS.
If you really think about it: Motorola 68000--->PowerPC--->Intel--->ARM
Here's an interesting read:http://memkite.com/blog/2014/12/15/data-parallel-programming-with-metal-and-swift-for-iphoneipad-gpu/I don't know how applicable this approach would be for most apps -- but with relative ease, the author was able to use Swift and Metal to exploit the CPUs and GPUs for a specific task. In a link he reports that this scales from 20x faster to 75x than other...
That sounds reasonable!Here's a what if:What if Apple decides it needs, say, 32 cores for a so-called power user machine ... because the normal power user needs 4-8 cores ... but Apple needs the other cores to provide Intel virtualization in a very-specific, customized to the ARM hardware, VM?Right now, an Intel chip virtualizes x86 CISC instructions in real-time and then runs them as RISC code. Do you think that 24 A9X ARM cores could do the equivalent?
I predict it will usher in a new breed of computers spanning ARM-only, ARM and Intel, and Intel-only ... for mobile, desktops, servers ...And they will include  in the name!
I suspect that the first manifestation of this for desktop Macs will be something like an iMac with:standard n A9X APUsBTO option for additional A9X APUsBTO option for an additional Intel CPUBTO option for GPU for use with Intel CPUSo, you could configure to your needs and the price you are willing to pay.Some additional things to consider ...Today, most of the major 3rd-party apps are available for Mac and Web as well as for Windows.MS Office already runs on Apple ARM...