or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Sorry, I've been tag-teaming my computer with my grandson who's making a movie -- Beta El Capitan doesn't help!.I know that FoundationDB implemented an SQL Layer (SQL Interface) above their hash DB.Again, it’s been a while since I did any heave SQL programming (MS & Sybase). Has SQL ever resolved the fatal embrace issue::Part A has a qty of 1 in stockPart B has a qty of 1 in stockCustomer 1 orders (reserves) the last Part BCustomer 2 orders (reserves) the last Part...
True, but SQL (and its variants) are not necessarily the best data solution for all needs. That's my point.
I agree -- IBM doesn't sell to SMBs who would be attracted by an OS X server ... They have no dog in this hunt!
The main compelling reasons that I can think of are:speed -- not only running the app on the server, but transmission speed and performance at the client side (especially mobile)function -- something new that is easy with Swift, but not practical to retrofit into PHPAs to 1) -- I think it was Gruber who reposted an article where some major web sites had an initial page load time of ~60 seconds. That could mean the difference between gaining a customer or the customer...
It well could be a server scripting language. Based on Lattner's background it seems preordained that Swift will not be just another app programming language. I haven't perused the Swift section of the Apple site recently, but there was a time when they referred to Swift as a System programming language. That could mean anything from a language to write compilers/linkers/runtimes, OSes, to a replacement for low-level Scripts such as OAS (AppleScript) Bash, even...
At the other end -- the self-employed or SMB solutions becoming available:
What a wonderful time being an IBM rep selling to / consulting with Enterprise IT ... (nobody ever got fired for buying IBM) ... Now, you IT dudes & dudas (hay dudas) ... if you're not careful, we'll convince top management that, to be effective, you all need Macs & iPads, iPhones and Apple Watches!
I wonder how Swift and FoundationDB fit into the Apple/IBM partnership and the relationship with enterprise IT.
Some interesting thoughts here -- like Apple going private! Here's another:  What If Apple were to split into multiple, interrelated companies, say: Executive/Holding company Design Hardware manufacturing Software manufacturing Services Fashion R&D New ventures There are some possibilities -- let people do what they do best;  more efficient/direct profit/cost centers ... There also are some pitfalls -- I worked for Consolidated Electrodynamics Corporation in the...