or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

You've kinda got me spinning ... not your fault though!I wanted to show you some before and after shots proving that it can be done!I haven't worked on any BLE or iBeacon stuff for several months ...In the meantime I've installed Yosemite on my main iMac and iOS 8 on my main iPhone and Main iPad, and am using Xcode 6 Beta 3 and iTunes Beta.All my BLE and iBeacon apps won't run on these versions of iOS, OS X, XCode and iTunes.The SensorTag firmware update that adds...
Yes, the program on the SensorTag now broadcasts iBeacon packets in addition to sending/receiving/scheduling BLE packets.Except that both activities are parts of a program sharing the hardware on the device. The SensorTag has an SDK, so you could write a SensorTag program that, say, reads the accelerometer and puts that into the minor field of the iBeacon broadcast packet.Yes, you can do that too, in a single app ... There are considerations, though -- when you connect...
To expand on my original assertion: "Status monitoring:  Some inexpensive iBeacons are quite intelligent. They can measure temperature, moisture, humidity, movement, etc -- and send that information to a central HomeKit Controller."You are correct that when acting as an Apple-defined iBeacon, a BLE device conforms to the Apple-defined iBeacon protocol. The device broadcasts a 128-bit UUID (unique identifier) and two 16-bit (sub identifiers denoted as major and minor). A...
It is very Apple-like to release a new technology then enhance it later ... We can easily remember when the only way a developer could write iPhone apps was as browser apps.Apple was rumored/expected to enhance/update iBeacon tech at WWDC 2014 ... Nada!You are correct, that currently an iBeacon is limited to what it can do -- basically identify itself and supply a rudimentary distance (signal strength) from to the receiver. The distance lets the receiver calculate how...
... Reminds me of the old fog joke about Bull Halsley and the Lighthouse ...Yes, when acting as an iBeacon a device says: "I'm over here, and my name is Lindissima."Just like meeting that pretty girl and getting her name.Big deal, if that's all there is!But, that iBeacon is also running BLE protocol (iBeacon protocol is built upon it)So, you can ask Lindissima (using BLE protocol): "What other things should I know about you?"And Lindissima responds (using BLE protocol):...
Aw, C'mon ... HomeKit is just over a month old -- not even Phillips had a Hue ready. The Wimoto is a Bluetooth 4.0 Smart device -- AKA, the Apple low-level BLE protocol. All Wimoto has to do is refresh (over BLE) their existing devices to add iBeacon protocol.There were lots of BLE devices which preceded theApple iBeacon announcement. There was a mad scramble to add iBeacon support so they could take advantage of the market defined by Apple.What Wimito does now is use...
mas o menos ...According to WWDC info: When you are at home using the iPhone, to control the HomeKit accessories, the app has to be running in the foreground ... Except, with HomeKit, you can set triggers, that automatically run in the background???Then, there is the claim that you can control your HomeKit accessories from offsite, using your iPhone via something they called Apple Connectivity. For example you could be at the office and set the air conditioning...
Wimoto wireless sensor system now offers motion detection and water sensinghttp://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/wimoto-adds-motion-and-water-sensors-wireless-sensor-system.htmlhttp://www.amazon.com/Wimoto-SEN001-Sentry-Bluetooth-Sensor/dp/B00ES5BJOO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1405272518&sr=8-7&keywords=wimotoThere are other, similar devices in various stages of production/development ... they're coming!
There are 2 levels of protocols:The iBeacon protocol is as you describeThere is also a lower-level BTLE protocol which allows dialog between devices such as iBeacons and an iDevice.iBeacon protocol is built using BTLE protocol but does not expose the dialog API.An iDevice can concurrently run both protocols, and the interfaces are pushed down and aggregated at the OS radio level.The low-level BTLE protocol is used to setup iBeacons -- set the identifiers, temperature, time...
The device, you describe, with WiFi, an OS, AC Power ... could be an iBeacon in some environments like stadiums, airports, hospitals, etc.For the home, that same device would, more likely, be a hub or controller for WiFi Accessories, BLE accessories and inexpensive battery-powered iBeacons. The hub/controller can take advantage of what iBeacons can do easily and inexpensively ... determine inside/outside temperature, detect motion in the baby's room ...You get granular...