or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

I don't think it is a "completely absent feature set".For example, I set my origin as the Roman Colosseum and destination as St Peter's Basilica and used the existing transit capability (no 3rd-party routing app). Here's what I got:I do agree that Apple should make a formal announcement. They could get more [marketing] mileage out of an April Maps Transit and Enhanced Data Announce/Release and then an Apple Maps Trip Planning at WWDC.This would show momentum with...
I think that is under development by one of Apple's recent acquisitions.I can't recall where, but I saw a demo video discussing that the user was walking around in a mall and using the camera and VR to detect a sign at an estimated distance/direction starting with the letter "R". From this info, the app could determine where the user was and provide map/navigation information to other locations within the mall.It might have been: WiFiSlam (though they specialize in...
Yes, I want to draw my own routes and waypoints in a 2D map -- then automate traversal of the route in 2D or 3D, to get something like the following. It can be done now, but it a very cumbersome process involving several programs and rather tedious effort.Or This:Or This:
Something like this overlaid on a map:Where you can pan/zoom and show/remove/add legs/lines of detail as desired.
I don't believe the additions for public transit are that substantial -- a few tweaks to the UI and additional/updated backend data. I don't think any additional developer access/APIs would be required. (The current developer access to mapping APIs is somewhat constrained -- I'd rather see Apple open that up.What may be the telling thing though -- is what other new stuff (devices, software, categories) Apple has planned for WWDC. If they have a full boat, they could do...
The OP has a point!European cities, for example, rely on public transit more than the few NA cities [with good public transit systems] do.It was a while ago, but I stayed in Paris for a few weeks while attending a class in Vincennes. We were able to get around, see all the sights using the Metro and Trains -- never rented a car or hired a taxi.These transit systems were quite well integrated -- so you could easily and reliably plan a trip using several modes of public...
LOL Too true!Edit: reminds me of the classic cure for crabs involving a razor, gasoline and an ice pick:shave 1/2 your pubic hairlight the other 1/2 on firewhen they try to escape, stab the little buggers with the ice pick
I love the term fauxliage -- it fits here, perfectly!I also ran across this bit of wisdom while surfing for fauxliage:“A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way"-Mark Twain.Here ... You pick-em:http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tree+cell+towers&qpvt=tree+cell+towers&FORM=IGREMy God, what kind of planet/values are we leaving behind us!
Wouldn't that be just another delaying tactic? As I understand it WiFi networks are subject to similar capacity, interference and saturation problems as cell radios.We live in the suburbs and here's the WiFi bands I detect on my Mac:As you can see, there are at least * 20 WiFi routers within range -- creating interference and degrading each others performance. Note that many have switched to the 5 GHz band to avoid interference on the 2.5 GHz band.* The number differs...
Sweet Jesus, is nothing sacred: