or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

It's the top of the Apple logo with shadows ...Though, the shape of the leaf could represent a the curved display of the ...
Is that what this is about -- the majority of C++ programs are glue to:connect to SQL DBs (or use an existing connection from a higher-level, platform-dependent language/API)read/write/manipulate the SQL datapass the SQL data to a higher-level, platform-dependent language/API for presentationdisconnect from SQL DBs (or depend on a higher-level, platform-dependent language/API)In the form of telling you questions:So, if I understand correctly, C++ is used mainly for...
I just started using Bindings -- but, I suspect that what you say is true!I'll put a lot of that down to poor design of the Bindings programmer UI -- all these little knobs and switches spread all over the place.But after a few days, you can get your head around it -- and know where to look for things,IMO, Apple should provide an overall view fanout in outline/narrative form -- from a Bindings perspective -- so you can design/maintain Bindings from a high-level and let...
Help me understand ...The C++ cross platform advantage exists because C++ is not tied to any OS -- true?Because of this C++ programmers cannot (or should not) access underlying platform dependent API's -- true?C++ is self-contained. similar to Java -- true?Do C++ programs provide garbage collection/ARC or is that the responsibility of the programmer?Because it's been around a while, C++ has a less modern syntax, and more housekeeping, than other, newer, languages like...
Thanks ... I do understand, and you presented the reasons well!Time marches on ...What if, a year or so, from now, Swift offers a superior solution [to all the advantages you mentioned] to C++ -- Could it be the lingua Franca you mention?
Well Shee-it! I can play that game ...I first learned to program in Octal-Absolute (or was it Bi-Quinary) on the IBM 650.A guy in the class wrote everything by hand in machine language -- he did not trust those new-fangled symbolic assemblers like the IBM 650 SOAP (Symbolic Optimal Assembly Program).The 650 had very limited main storage (tubes back then) -- the program and the data were stored on a 2K Drum ...The "Optimal" in the SOAP Assembler, was there because the...
I think I understand ...Some questions:1) Is the primary advantage of C++ that it is cross platform?2) Does C++ have access to the underlying APIs/Frameworks of the platform like Objective-C does and Swift does on iOS/OSX?3) If not, apparently Objective-C++ facilitates this on iOS/OSX -- what's the equivalent on Windows and 'Nix?4) What other advantages than cross platform, does C++ provide?
As I mentioned earlier, initial XIB implementations required so much extra work that many abandoned the new way for the known way -- do it in code!"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."That's a cogent remark -- I will quote you on that!I think that is partially because Swift makes it difficult to drag legacy [programming] baggage forward -- it almost goads you into looking for a better way. Once you realize that, it's almost like embarking on a fresh,...
new sig