or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Why does it need an Intel chip?Couldn't it run on an ARM A8 or somesuch?
Or, an inexpensive laptop running OSX optimized for 64-bit ARM -- a keyboard, touchpad, standard I/O ports and non-touch screen ...Less expensive (no Intel tax) than a MacBook Air – more powerful than an iPad.Run native iOS apps concurrently with native OS X apps.Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.Target a price range of $600-$800 -- I'm really starting to get jazzed about this!
That makes sense ...I keep falling into the trap: thinking that OSX needs to run on Intel so the user can optionally run Windows.The problem with the Mini was speed (typing and switching) -- Mail and 18 Safari tabs. I have more running on the iPad (suspended).Edit: The more I think about this the more I like it. A kb with a good touchpad and the ability to run multiple iPad apps receiving background updates, while running OSX apps.
I agree with everything you say.FWIW, the SUV device I was discussing would not have a dual UI. It would be an unique, non-touch UI -- more similar to the desktop.
Mmm... A while back,on researching Intel, I discovered that Intel takes the CISC instructions of the x86 and through a proprietary process, real-tine converts them to RISC instructions which are executed.http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5806589/why-does-intel-hide-internal-risc-core-in-their-processors
Ha! The potential is kind of piquing your interest too.Imagine iCloud with a special format/access, like dropbox, for these crossover devices and Macs.If PCs are trucks and iPads are cars -- then these devices would be SUVs.I don't know that Apple needs to make a lot of money with this device but it certainly needs something between OS X and iOS.Elegantly typed and dictated on my iPad 4.
IDK, the idea of an expanded iOS running, with kb/touchpad, on a somewhat more powerful device than an iPad intrigues me.There are several no-man's-lands separating iOS and OSX -- the file system and multiple, overlapping windows. The touch UI on the iPad could handle these -- but I think a mouse/touchpad would provide a superior experience.Consider a device with 4-8GB RAM 128-256GB SSD.Aside: My iMac 27" is awaiting service and I am typing this on a Mac Mini -- 2.2GHz...
Yes!If Apple does SoS, I suspect that their first iteration will be a separate chip -- rather than part of the Ax APU. A wireless radio (Cell, WiFi, BT, GPS) would seem a natural first step.
Not to mention the money-saving potential. The iPhone 5S wireless chips at $32 are second only to the display and touch ($41) costs in the BOM. Wireless is about 17% of the total BOM cost of $191.http://technology.ihs.com/451425/groundbreaking-iphone-5s-carries-199-bom-and-manufacturing-cost-ihs-teardown-reveals
What you describe could happen to any add on system regardless of OS (Android, iOS, Windows). Apparently, QNX is specifically designed for fail safe operations where it cannot be allowed to abort, reboot, etc -- things such as imbedded automotive, medical, industrial, security implementations.