or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

Why?We have iP5s iP4s and iPads of both colors.The background colors of the Apple-supplied apps match neither colored face of the device.You can change your lock screen and home screen to approximate the face color.Possibly, some 3rd-party developers will design their apps so that they match [approximate] the color of the face -- but I suspect that they will be very few.I can see it being done in some very special cases...For example: I wrote an app for my friend Sheena...
Of Course... but only those who appreciate wonderfulness.
+++ QFT
I think you do Gruber, Elmer-DeWitt, Dediu (and the few others) * a disservice by including DED in the group!Other than that, I agree with most of what you say! However, I think the excesses of DED reportings only gives ammunition to the opposition and helps them to justify their "activities"... "after all, Apple (or by proxy, Apple fans and journalists) do it too".* The aforementioned (and hopefully I) frequently compliment something "done well" by Apples biggest...
I have no problem waging the good war... been doing it for 36 years! I do think you have to choose your battles and leaders wisely.I do respect someone "burnishing the pen" in waging the battle -- what I don't respect is one who burnishes the facts or misrepresents or elides themIMO, DED is mostly a gossip who poses as a journalist... the exception is the occasional article which delivers an even-handed presentation of the subject.It took me a long time to realize this...
It is improved somewhat in iOS 7.What is odd is that web pages in forums on AI. On an iPad in landscape when:viewing the AI home pageviewing an AI Articleviewing comments after "Jump to comments"viewing comments after "View All"Pan/Zoom works as expected for 1-3... It doesn't work at all for 4???
This is the kind of post that proves the worth of "discussion forums" on the web.It is succinct and well reasoned.Your point: "Apple has turned the greatest strength of Wintel and even open source against themselves" -- has made me stop and think about Wintel and Open Source deficiencies -- from another perspective.I never thought about them that way, but the seeds of their destruction are built-in to their offerings!No way can Intel or Microsoft abandon compatibility...
No! 2X is a System function!
Hear! Hear! Well said on all points!
Because the design requirements are different -- an application must be rethought to exploit the difference in screen size, device capabilities, etc. between a phone and a tablet.Resizing a phone app to display the same info on a larger screen doesn't cut it!