or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

"...short, but not too big around..." -Roger Miller
Here's a rollout... ah, um... unboxing: http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/pro/1306-unboxing-the-new-mac-pro-video
http://www.macstadium.com/blog/new-mac-pro-hosting-and-colocation-will-be-here-soon/
^^^ThisJust to put $ vs features into perspectiveRelease date September 10, 1984Introductory price US$ 2795Discontinued April 14, 1986Operating system 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.2,[1] 3.3, 3.4, 4.0, 4.1CPU Motorola 68000 @ 7.8338 MHz (Effectively 6MHz)Memory 512 kB (built-in)...No SSD or HDD internal storageCPI Inflation Calculator$ 2795 in 1984Has the same buying power as:$6,269.76 in 2013You can get a 3 GHz 8-core 32 GB RAM 512 GB SSD Dual GPU nMP for $6199 -- less $...
I have 2 Promise Pegasus 12 TeraByte RAIDs (Thunderbolt 1). We seldom run the AC and the fans rarely come on. Even when the fan runs, noise is not an issue.
Except that the Pegasus Thunderbolt 1 RAIDS are faster than both the internal SSD and HDD on the .2011 iMac 27".I think that the Apple Mac Pro is going where the Pro A/V market will be in 5 years. With Thunderbolt your external devices can be in another room -- separate from where you are processing audio. Alternatively, you can pack up (configure) the Mac Pro and whatever external devices you need on a small cart to address whatever ad hoc situations arise.For example,...
All this bird talk...When we lived in Tucson, we had a built-in metal fireplace. The whole thing was metal from the firebox all the way up to the roof vent.Then, one day, a woodpecker landed on the fireplace roof vent...
Right on!I think that in today's market Apple realizes that building an empty box with a lot of expansion capability is of little benefit to Apple. Customers would populate the box with non-apple drives, adapters, etc.Better, IMO, to go with the new philosophy of external expansion -- with advantages of modularity, configuration flexibility, interchangeability, portability.I think the TB Bridge supports IP over TB so, shared external devices may be possible too...