or Connect

Posts by Dick Applebaum

By "online" do you mean online to the Internet.If so, that would be horrible ...But, think about it:case #1 you just wave your iPhone 6 as demoed (I bet the iPhone could even be in Airplane mode with all radios disabled except NFC).case #2 when you put on your iWatch -- it contacts your iPhone and gets TouchID enabled until the AppleWatch is taken off (or until overtly disabled).In both of the above cases, the ApplePay device (AppleWatch or iPhone 6) could communicate with...
Just imagine what sales could have been -- had the store been up at 12:01 AM PST!
I don't understand " then how do you make a payment if your device isn't online? ",Obviously you can't pay with ApplePay if you don't have the device (the AppleWatch, at a minimum) online ... Just as you can't pay with a credit card if you don't have the credit card ... or cash, if you don't have the cash ...As I understand it, ApplePay has an encrypted token that consists of (at least):Code:--------------------------------------------| DAC * | Dynamic Security code |...
The above is a transitional solution.Look at the last point above -- When I go to any web site on my Macs or iDevices, if I have so chosen, the browser fills in the UserID and Password -- i merely tap or click the login button. What's this diff??You go to check out, select the cc service (not the card number) and the browser/icloud generates an ad hoc token token and file it in -- You click Pay!
As I understand it, ApplePay supports debit cards -- it just does it conveniently and securely at lower cost to the customer, merchant and transaction processor.
I don't think you understand.The token references a single credit card/Bank.When you ApplePay, the device generates a token which references the above plus a one-time dynamic security code and time stamp.Even if you did store the token on a web site it would be worthless ...That's the whole point!The token is created, ad hoc, by the act of making that specific payment (some with TouchID, others without).
The AppleWatch is the key:it can be used with iPhones as demoed (iPhone supplies the TouchID and AppleWatch supplies the NFC connection).If no NFC POST is available, the AppleWatch can use BLE/WiFi to communicate with a non-NFC POST.On non-NFC Apple devices (current iPhones, iPads, AppleTVs, Macs, MacBooks) it uses Handoff to communicate with the AppleWatch.Just as iCloud/Keychain can securely generate, store, retrieve and fill in UserIDs and Passwords -- it will be able...
The compelling reasons for customers, merchants and cc providers/banks, alike: It costs less to everyone (offers bigger rewards) it is secure for everyone it is ridiculously easy to use It will happen, soon -- resistance is futile! BTW, that goes for buying things through the AppleTV, too.
Here's the way it's going to roll out (in my mind):You will no longer enter or store your cc info on web sites like Amazon, Apple, Kaiser-Permanenti, Target, Home Depot, Walmart, ATT Uverse, etc.You will use ApplePay to pay for these thingsAll newer Apple hardware will have TouchID and NFC (iMacs, iPads, MacBooks ...)Existing hardware, that lacks TouchID/NFC will use HandOff to communicate with a TouchID device.Just as iCloud/Keychain can securely generate, store,...
I think you nailed it ...'Cept I suggest you refer to them as POSTs (or POST terminals) -- as opposed to POS Terminals ...... Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?