or Connect

Posts by Alfiejr

DED ought to have titled the article "The War Is Over. Apple Won."   There are many reasons for that, but two stand out: simplicity/friendliness for users (including the killer unique personal support offered at Apple Stores) - which every not-a-techie in the world craves - and security. which lack of security more and more now every user in the world really fears.    security is today's trump card. it wins.   Google (and MS) can never ever match Apple for either....
of course Google Android and Apple iOS have gone through several cycles of each catching up with the other's successful features and technologies. iOS 7 was notable for that, and now so very obviously is Google M.   but what matters long term is the quality of the overall integration of all those features and technologies into an easy to use and thus most useful ecosystem for our daily lives. it's becoming increasingly obvious that Apple is pulling way ahead in that...
amazing no one has pointed out the obvious reasons for this pattern - in Android the notifications are literally in your face constantly. they stick on the home screen and can't easily be managed - turned off app by app - individually. many do not offer an opt-in/out choice at installation either. so yes of course they will get a much higher response rate as a result of that agressiveness.   manipulating the user to somehow monetize everything is a basic premise of...
all this back and forth about tech benchmarks just don't matter to 99% of users (or me). they care about the everyday results of that tech on the screen when they are using the phone:   - camera performance, like point and shoot quality in all kinds of light and any lag times - video recording performance, like image stabilization and maybe slo mo - game performance, like no stutters and the graphic level of detail of the games - does it get uncomfortably hot to hold...
unless Lyons has a copy of the email "I produced the email that Levy had sent to the business editor of Newsweek and gave it to Howard Kurtz at CNN"  - which Lyons did not present in his riposte - the detailed 4/7/10 Kurtz summary of that Newsweek scenario absolutely destroys his claim. deal with that.
yes buy them. but then combine Wii with Apple TV and convert all the DS games to iOS. without cross platform of course. this move is Nintendo's surrender. they'll be totally out of the hardware business in 5 years. 
agreed. but the flagrant double standard where working conditions and environmental concerns are addressed only to Apple while the media totally ignores the same far more egregious circumstances with regard to all the other Asian OEM's and their suppliers is beyond belief. it's sick (and i don't mean hip-cool). and he's right - Google doesn't give a shit about that. DED should do a whole Editorial on that one topic alone.
oh, about the AWatch ...   either it's really super-convenient or it's not. if it is, it will be a huge hit. otherwise, so-so.   like i wonder, can you really hear/talk a phone call on it?   have to wait and see when it finally gets into real world use.
ok, i have to nominate this as the all-time DED rant. or at least one of the top five. when i got to Jim Jones i knew he was all-in.   his basic points are certianly valid, if hardly news. there are probably a lot of cheap shots and poorly qualified statements in there too.   but mainly, it's just a lot of fun to read. keep 'em coming Dan, and don't worry about who you piss off. especially here.