or Connect

Posts by Alfiejr

"they all do it" is no defense or excuse. on a scale of 1 to 10 (not counting the NSA), Google scores the 10 for maximum data mining of its hundreds of millions (billions?) of users in so many ways. you're right, we don't really know what MS is mining from its built in Windows OS "back door," and i'm sure it copies Google's practices as much as it can with all its ecosystem services, so we can't really score them, but MS could be a 10 too. they just aren't as good at...
 you're being tendentious as usual. all i use Disqus for is to post comments. not purchases/reviews, not social anything, not search, not check ins, not maps. there is nothing else for them to mine from me except my comment history. they are welcome to that for whatever it is worth. i guess they could profile me, like those guys on TV crime shows do. heck, we can profile you from your 8000 comments on AI - a compulsive contrarian.
 all Disqus has from me is a name, email, user name, and PW - necessary for any such service - and a history of my comments via that service - which are essentially public domain anyway. Google+ data mines your entire life in the Google ecosystem, and everything else it can invade somehow even outside it. stop being a Google apologist and get real.
oh come on, stop apologizing for Google. there is a hell of a lot of difference between Google+ and, for example, Disqus. Disqus is merely a user name and PW system. Google+ is a massive invasion of your digital life. get real.
 good point. and from that Google site web link we also learn that only 4.9% of those Google Play "activations" were for devices greater than 7" screen size (for two weeks in April of this year). that is, ALL Android tablets! Google itself says so!!  about 200M Android devices were so activated between then and August - 4 months = 50M per month (http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-android-activations-hit-1-billion-2013-9). so only 10M were true "Google Android"...
 the mini is great if you can't lay out $1500+ for a new iMac and already have a decent monitor (as many do), and don't need a portable laptop - maybe because your iPad already satisfies your portable needs now - which is becoming more and more the situation these days. many households still need a desktop for media stuff, general/special purpose big-screen applications, and shared use. the $600 base mini is a good fit for them. plug in a $100 2T external drive if more...
this DED post is on-target. but there is one more important point it still didn't get to:   there is no single "Android" in any real sense. There is the parent Google ecosystem Android, but few in the developing world actually use Google services, and that is the prime market for the white box tablets/smartphones. most of those are tied into local home country culturally-relevant services via their local telco and popular local websites. that describes virtually all of...
no mention of GT's patents. but that has to be part of the deal too ...
hey, all you guys missed the key words in the last sentence of JDP's email reply in a comment above:   "It is also important to note that the JDPower.com Ratings may not include all information used to determine the overall rankings and J.D. Power awards."   ... which is a direct admission that there are some other secret ranking criteria being applied here.   we can only speculate what that is since JDP won't say.