or Connect

Posts by Alfiejr

believe it when i see it.
 what's slick about CarPlay is that it is running on top of the automaker's own Nav system OS (some Linux flavor? or QNX for Ford soon). just like AirPlay works on multiple brands of AV equipment with some other kind of underlying simple OS. all it needs is a dedicated button on the Nav unit, like an input switch on a TV, and access to the voice button on the steering wheel and touch screen UI elements. the same would be true for DroidPlay. actually, Android devices can...
oh, wrong. you forget about your passengers, who use the iPad to kill time on longer trips or search for stuff around and about. my wife does this all the time. they can take care of the infotainment system instead of the driver - much safer.
yeah i saw that. that was its catch up to Apple's iOS in the Car announcement last year. i mean actual real world operational deployment like this.
of course Google will announce its Android knock-off version of CarPlay in a matter of months, if not weeks. and with more apps you might use of course - it's open! except this is a situation where simplicity is essential. what CarPlay apparently is 'missing' is web - not map - "search." e.g., can Siri search wikipedia for factoids in CarPlay? you can be sure Google Voice will. along with ... yes, wait for it ... ads.   you can see CarPlay is just one option of the Nav...
ah, this reopens the classic "open vs. closed" topic.   car makers now have to choose whether their built-in Nav/Entertainment systems will work  fully with any brand ecosystem - Apple, Google, and others like MS - or are optimized for just one of them or some other proprietary service of that car maker.   (i'm not talking about simple bluetooth calling, i'm mean systems that run apps etc.)   Ford just announced it will switch from its own system - provided by MS and...
 Schmidt embodies the true soul of Google: lie, cheat, and steal - aka "open." the poor top Google engineer that spilled the beans in France - his career is over.
yes, there are a lot of lukewarm or wait and see S5 reactions too. but a lame product like this from Apple would have gotten a scathing reaction instantly. the point of this DED Editorial is that Samsung gets favorable media coverage no matter what thanks to its ad budget.
here's my favorite Gush. it's not a major tech site, just one of those others that SS can buy outright:   http://www.latintimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-5s-compare-features-specs-price-and-more-poll-155273
More CNET Gush:   http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-57619550-78/smile-the-samsung-galaxy-s5s-16-megapixel-camera-is-pretty-good-so-far/