or Connect

Posts by Alfiejr

so what is up with FaceBook and its hold back on the iPad app? it might make sense if FaceBook were about to release its own branded tablet or a special partnership with some OEM. but that would have to be an Android tab, and FaceBook and Google are mortal enemies. ditto MS. i guess they could team up with RIM ... but the PlayBook is so lame. more likely mayb there is still some tiff between Apple and FaceBook over things. being run by an arrogant kid, FaceBook is just...
Android's free ride will certainly come to an end next year. but an extra $50 license cost per phone is not going to make that big a difference in the market. and they'll find workarounds for Apple's stuff. so where does this lead?
ANY tablet that is noticeably thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 is simply DOA in the market. all of them, including the TouchPad. only Samsung has been smart enough to realize that so far.and except for rich guys and website techies, the gadget-loving early-adopter market for not-Apple tablets - which isn't that big anyway - is all tapped out. they've all bought one of these V.1 dogs of some kind by now and are stuck with it for a while. they will wait for the next...
Google TV is focused on "Search" as its key New Idea (when your favorite tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail). but few consumers want to do Search on a big screen TV. they want mainly to passively consume. with as little effort as possible. e.g., does anyone use all that interactive web stuff on BluRay movies? very few. on top of that, Google failed to reinvent the UI. still the old school LRUD cursor screen. that has to go. it always sucks. and then Google made...
I just don't see it happening, an Apple HDTV. because iOS screen mirroring via ATV already does the job anyway. whatever you can display on your iPad, then boom, it's on your big screen. doesn't matter what brand. any kind of app, and thus any/every kind of content. from any source. the big step is doing this wirelessly in iOS 5, which makes it far more convenient. sure, apps designed to take advantage of 16:9 screens are important, and certainly most media apps will be...
they don't' have the guts to report their tablet sales. the 7" Galaxy had to be a total disaster, and the 10" Galaxy ain't doing that great either. so they are using Apple as an implied excuse for a cover up to avoid embarrassment. of course the Android-loving tech websites are not going to call them on this. they don't' want to know the truth either.
Bloodbath.
I've used ATV stand alone with the candy bar cursor remote, with the Remote app on an iPhone and iPad, and with screen mirroring from my iPad via the HDMI dongle/cable. some observations: - all old school cursor LRUD UI's suck. but since ATV uses one so it can be an inexpensive universal device, its entire UI is structured to work that way. - unfortunately the Remote app offers instead only trackpad control of that cursor which requires a lot of scrolling and is clumsy...
the comparison of the iPad with the iPod's market domination is more complex than just saying it has held 70% of the market for the last 8 years, and so will the iPad. first, there is probably a whole lot of very cheap no-recognizable-brand PMP's out there in the second/third world whose sales just don't get picked up in these stats. like all those toy like gizmos in China. they work, sort of. and sell tens of millions. and i think the same thing will eventually happen...
DED is back! same old question: 440,000 Xoom shipped in last quarter, but how many really sold? did they say? or sold to date going back two quarters? when they don't give you actual sales stats, you know they have to be crummy. when they are good, they boast about it.