or Connect

Posts by Alfiejr

yeah, i'm sure Moto is going to take a sizeable $ loss on the Xoom. lots of one-time costs, plus a big marketing budget (which marketing is terrible). Moto would say they want to "build the brand" and recoup the loss later this year with the Son of Xoom. like the Droid. we'll see ... it's nothing like the Samusung 7" Galaxy tablet fiasco. 2.1 million shipped! how many sold - 10%? 20%? what a massive blunder! the losses on that utter total flop will be in the $ hundreds of...
Moto might have sold 200,000 Xoom's if it had a full product line at launch. it might have sold 300,000 if it had an international launch. now the wifi model is coming and some international soon. so it may be too soon to call it a "flop." but it sure is off to a slow start. so Moto is reportedly cutting back on production. meanwhile the iPad2 is selling like hotcakes with a full product line, and ramping up international sales. Apple can't build them fast enough....
you forget, probably another 100,000 of those suckers already bought a 7" Samsung Galaxy tab months ago. leaving about 2 million of those "shipped" Galaxies unsold too. probably sitting in discount bins throughout Asia.
don't put your words in my mouth. my post was specifically about "the most strident fanDroids." you're complaining about some "pervasive bias" straw man comment of your own imagination, not mine.just FYI if you don't know history, michael arrington, the poobah of Techcrunch, was a linux guy going back a good while. and remember his (Linux) Crunchpad flop over a year ago? he plainly favors Android now. but i would not call him "strident." he's admires the iPad, but prefers...
it's not just her. she is just a very blatant example. there is the whole Techcrunch crowd (except the token Siegler). and many others among the dozens of tech blogs. look around. not to mention many commenters.what's relevant now is their desperate stridency. because of iPad 2's runaway success of course. they were so close! Linux was going to finally win! Damn Apple! that is why the sudden burst of FUD. not the only reason why, but a very emotional one.
the most strident fanDroids are typically diehard Linux fans (like Catherine Noyes). they see Android as - at long last - a successful Linux platform. so after many years of being left out of the media mainstream, they champion it and bask in the glow. then on top of that, they drink the "open" Googleaide, as if it really is about open source instead of market/advertising manipulation of the users. and they hate Apple of course, because if OS X had not succeeded, the world...
that's definitely the Google idea. but i think Apple is going to take a different approach based on user perception instead of the technical arrangements - iOS and Mac OS X together (iOS 5 combined with Mac OS X Lion) will deliver anything you got anwhere on any Apple device or service to you seamlessly anyplace with any Apple device you are using anytime. instead of Home Sharing, it will become Universal Sharing. and instead of just iTunes it will be all Apple software -...
in a few weeks we will get Apple's quarterly sales numbers, including one month of iPad 2 March sales. so we will we be able to add up all iOS device sales (except Apple TV maybe) for whatever period of time. all the Android OEM's almost never report actual sales numbers. which right off the bat is very suspicious. how many of the 2.1 million 7" Galaxy tabs "shipped" were actually sold do you think? less than half i bet. will Samsung ever say? probably not, it was a...
good to see a very thoughtful breakdown of the situation to discuss. my take is that, as you note, Apple really has two tablets in the market now - the iPod touch as well as the iPad. you could say Apple is "cannilbalizing" its own iPod line with its tablets. but actually the former version of the PMP market is shrinking to just ultra portable devices like the Nano and Shuffle. and it would not surprise me at all to see Apple intro a 5"-6" version of the iPod touch this...
looking around the web today, the number of strident, over the top fanDroid articles declaring the superiority of the Xoom, and/or inevitable dominance of Android tablets - even while the iPad 2 sells out globally at an unprecedented pace - is remarkable. one guy even declares the Xoom equals the iPad for "style" - i kid you not. you can smell the desperation. and this new Apple ad - which no doubt will saturate TV starting tonight - is going to make them foam at the...