or Connect

Posts by ShavenYak

I have a new adapter for my 2006 MacBook (the cable jutting out sideways on the original did not have adequate strain relief and eventually failed). I've never had a problem charging with it, but sometimes the light on the cable doesn't light up. Sometimes I long for the good old days when battery chargers were simple on/off devices and didn't need advanced intelligence to do their job, and cables were designed as if they might actually get plugged, unplugged, and...
First of all, you most certainly can buy 7 shares at a time. You could even do it back in the bad old days of 2002. Internet discount brokers had been around for a few years. The real problem is that the stock has split three times since then. They wouldn't have been $6.80, in fact they were probably more than $50 each - but each one would now be 8 shares. Actually it might not be three splits exactly, but you get the idea. That's a bit irrelevant if you have a time...
I'm glad to see Apple being so proactive on this. After all, Dolby Digital has only been available to consumers since 1995. I suppose we can expect TrueHD support by some time in 2020.
No it isn't. It might be the only way HD video with multichannel sound is commercially distributed right now (and that's not even technically true - you can still buy HD-DVDs), but that means nothing. There's no reason (besides bandwidth) that Apple couldn't put high-bitrate MPEG-4/TrueHD movies in the iTunes Store. Or they could use 8 channels of Apple Lossless audio. Still, I'd rather they don't tease us with an HDMI output unless the system can actually deliver...
Yes, it is what the person was asking for...Clearly he wants a single device attached to his TV which can record OTA or buy content, not a Rube Goldberg scheme with an Apple TV, a computer, and an EyeTV unit. You couldn't schedule recordings from the sofa, you'd have to go to the computer for that. Now if the EyeTV (or other tuner device) could plug directly into that handy USB port on the back of the AppleTV... that would be the smart way for Apple to go. Then they don't...
If you purchase a song from the iTunes Store on an AppleTV, can you get it back to the library on your Mac? I would assume so, but you never know with Apple and the studios lately. I'll probably still hold out until they deliver one that can play VIDEO_TS folders - of course, by the time the AppleTV can do that, I'll probably be demanding BluRay playback too. Perhaps I should just buy a Mini and use FrontRow instead. No HD movie rentals then, but frankly I think...
Real soon now. There wasn't much sense for Apple to drag their customers through a format war. Now that it's over for all intents and purposes, expect to see Blu-Ray drives on Macs in the near future. Probably in conjunction with HDCP compliant Cinema Displays.
The N95 costs about $650 (unlocked) over here in the States. No carrier subsidises them. A free N95 and a $650 iPhone is clearly a better deal than a $650 N95 and a $499 iPhone, so kwitcherbitchin.
From the iTunes update description:Are they seriously saying I can't rent HD movies to be played on my Mac through FrontRow? Is that because the movie studios are afraid I'll crack their DRM and put the movies on BitTorrent (why would I do that when I could rip a Blu-ray disc and get 1080p) or because Apple wants to sell me another $230 box?
Nah, Xserve isn't big enough (sales-wise or consumer-interest-wise) to be a focus of a keynote. iTunes, iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks are. The Keynote will mention the new Xserves briefly, talk about Leopard sales, talk about iTunes, and announce Penryn chips coming soon to the rest of the lineup. Steve will outline plans for Blu-Ray support and iTunes movie rentals, and perhaps they'll announce AppleTV updates. "One more thing" will be a new subnotebook. Note: all the above...