or Connect

Posts by gwmac

As a lawyer I am pretty sure I understand how the court system works. I am very familiar with that website and Florian Mueller. I am simply advising you not to get your hopes up because I do not foresee any substantial changes from any of these lawsuits. 
 These lawsuits don't seem to be going anywhere. It looks like Samsung will have to pay Apple a pittance and will be allowed to continue operating pretty much without many changes. I think the biggest threat to Android was the Oracle lawsuit over Java against Google but that was dismissed. Do you have any reliable links to support that position because all the news on the lawsuits seems to suggest nothing much will come from any of them. 
 First of all let me say that I agree with your assessment that Android is not quite as "open" as they once pretended and I understand how they are deliberately using Google play services to lock down Android tighter. Acer however should have been aware of the contract they signed so I am not sure you can blame Google for Acer being ignorant of their contract. I also think that Google is simply doing what they had to do to protect their company and Android. Amazon's forked...
 I thought that is what I said. I understand that point and Samsung are allowed to make Windows phones or Tizen phones as long as they are not Android forks. I was complementing Google on that strategy. People here hate Google which is understandable since they are Apple's biggest competitor. Amazon's experiment has not been hugely successful when you consider many of the top apps like Clash of Clans are still not available on Amazon. Or many others get updates far later...
Although the landscape appears bleak their are pockets of resistance like the municipal owned and run fiber optic network which delivers the fastest internet in the county in Chattanooga, TN. They used the power lines to deliver their fiber network. This will not be an option in many states due to contracts with power companies and other hurdles but fiber networks in conjunction with power companies might one day offer some competition to cable...
You are absolutely correct but if Samsung decided to fork Android like Amazon then they would no longer be permitted to sell "Android" phones. That is a huge incentive not to fork it. I don't blame Google for that tactic since they created Android and have spent probably billions developing and supporting their ecosystem and then give it away for free. As the old adage says nothing in life is truly free though. I think Samsung used to have some leverage with Tizen but not...
 Thanks for proving my point. Obviously you thought the iPhone was too small so decided to buy a S4.  You probably didn't like Android so it went in a drawer. I am exactly the same. I long for a larger display but far prefer Apple hardware and iOS. Once a larger iPhone is available all the millions of people unhappy with a tiny screen but also loyal to Apple and iOS can finally buy what they really want. Perhaps a lot of other people that chose not to throw their S4 in a...
 Don't worry I am a very good shot. It is a lot easier to see 6' targets than fixed type in apps on a teeny 4" display in any event. Once a larger iPhone goes on sale we will see who was right. I bet it will far outsell a 4" version assuming Apple continues to sell the small one which is not a certainty. 
 If you are asking me what phone I would rather have if I had to choose something other than an iPhone it would not be a Nokia. Sorry but I think the Samsung S4 or HTC One are far better phones than any by Nokia. I would also prefer a LG or Sony over a Nokia. I also prefer Android  to Windows phone so I would have no interest in buying a Windows phone to begin with. I do not see this as a positive move by Microsoft and will likely lead to even fewer apps for Windows Phone....
 People will be very reluctant to give up their DVR. It is not just network shows after all. What about local  programs like news or local sports and other shows, or sports events, or more obscure cable channels and shows that do not have VOD or Hulu options. I rarely watch any live TV. Almost all my shows are pre-recorded on my DVR.