or Connect

Posts by paxman

I find it amazing that Amazon is at such odds with the Book Publishing world and also the creators of the books they sell. I see nothing in Amazon that reveals a positive view of the future of the industries that it lives off, nor of the world as a sustainable place for creators, workers and consumers alike. Amazon has turned ecommerce into something very ugly. I like convenience and low prices as much as the next guy but what Amazon is practicing is more akin to a...
 Woah! I thought I went up-market when I paid $300 for my Bose Noise Cancelling headset!
Great explanation. And I certainly defer to your expert knowledge. Personally I never mess with the EQ except when mixing audio in video, which is a whole different ball game. The reason I don't mess with the EQ is just that I am not an audiophile and cannot be bothered. It has nothing to do with principle. In the past when I used a separate amp I always used the loudness button for low volume. These days I don't usually play music quietly in the background.
Many, if not most (?) high end amplifiers come without eq settings, don't they? The point, as I understand it, is for the system to recreate the recorded sound most accurately. Some of your examples are not really representative, anyway. I think equalizing the sound is more like having the ability to change the colour of the lighting in a room in order to make your art look 'better'. Ideally the lighting should recreate natural light in order to see the art as intended by...
Although Microsoft would never divulge this information I would love to know exactly how many takers at the end of the day. I suspect not very many. The whole campaign smacks of desperation to the point where even the tempted will tread cautiously. I can hear alarm bells going off all over the place just thinking about it. Just the fact that they are offering to pay rather than plain old fashioned convince prospective customers will make most people run a mile, surely.
I haven't used Skype in years. FaceTime is mostly used in our household. For long distance phone services there are many VOIP services out there. I have been using Localphone for a couple of years and I have no complaints. Ridiculously cheap.
Certainly not when you are playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata N01. in F Minor (thanks Shazam), with your other hand.
Which is why there is still a question over the alleged iWatch. No question HealthKit is a great idea and if it can connect with and be the central hub to a myriads of health and fitness related apps and devices it will be huge. Whether Apple will produce and single wearable device to compliment the HealthKit platform is questionable. 
Amazing how long it is taking Apple to optimize their site for iPads and iPhones. You'd have thought they'd be the first.
The killer app(s) will be the frameworks that allow third parties to create useful functionality. My guess is that the medical and fitness aspects will be the major sellers. You don't need a wearable to speak, text, browse, etc. Voice commands could be a big seller for the geeks though I suspect that invoking Siri and telling her to dim the lights in the dining room and turn up the volume on the TV will always be slower than doing it manually ;)