or Connect

Posts by paxman

But you don't have to stream at all times. Membership allows you to save for off line listening (wifi). There are some that have either chosen to forego wifi because LTE is faster or because they are always on the move, but most people I know are wifi connected most of the time.
You describe a perfect nightmare
There definitely will be more Beat stations. Why else would they have called it Beats 1. I love listening to the radio and I'd much rather pay than listen to endless commercials. Apple should include several talk radio stations, too, imo. They'd have to do very little work - just curate the thousands of podcasts. So many of them are fantastic but a lot of people are not organized enough to download and remember to play saved podcasts and instead just turn on the radio to...
I was talking of 'the arts' generally, not just music, but yes, of course the music industry is a business. As such the business should be investing in itself and in my opinion the place to collect for that purpose is at the point of sale. But as we all know business is useless at taking care of itself and setting and adhering to guidelines that will serve it well in the long run so it must fall to other regulatory bodies that have the interests of the end users at heart....
Apple did the right thing but people here will side with Apple (pre this decision), regardless. And angrily. Critical thought be damned. Fledgeling artists of all genres need support. It is akin to investing in education, or r & d. It is probably the best money spent.In some countries a creative sales tax of sorts is levied at sales of creative product. The money go into a fund which is distributed to up and coming artists (not just music). The tax is small but the fund...
First of all must come the realization that education the way it is run now does not work particularly well. Secondly must come the willingness to try something new. If you go through each point and think about it you realize that this so fundamentally different to the more common Western way that it couldn't have happened overnight. In fact, it was about 40 years ago that Finland decided the education system needed to be overhauled, or in Apple speak, disrupted, or better...
I am all for Apple technology in schools but I have seen it first hand being used so ineffectively it hurts. To improve education however, technology is just a tiny piece of the puzzle. It is interesting to look at how Finland runs their school system and the results they achieve. Finland's school system has consistently ranked at the very top internationally. Some interesting facts: Finnish children don't start school until they are 7. Compared with other systems,...
Airing of Laundry - is that what this is?
One's traitor is the other's freedom fighter. It is hard to call Snowden a traitor if you know anything about the subject. What you have to consider is what price you and I and millions of other may have to pay in the future if Snowden had not acted. The 'terrorism' card as it is not what this is about at all.
Snowden is a whistleblower which is very different from being a traitor. The documentary Citizenfour is a great movie that sheds some light onto Snowden as a character and what drove him to do as he did. It is a chilling film and highly recommended.