or Connect

Posts by paxman

TV - I am in two minds here. I have said this before so pardon me - but Apple likes to enter a market with a splash and nothing would splash more than a fully fledged TV set. They wont do it unless they think they will sell shedloads but nothing will signal the Apple presence in the living room better than a full size TV. It will also be the talk of every TV show, blogger, news channel for quite a while. It would be a high stakes game because if it was too expensive or...
The US has been waging some very expensive wars for the last decade or two.
Steve Jobs always said that money was not the great motivator. In a corporate context this has also been proven over and over - higher wage does not equal better or more profitable work. To think that you can buy loyalty and innovation through more money (given that pay is high to start with) shows lack of creativity and human understanding. Only a bad boss thinks that he/ she can improve performance by throwing more money at its managers.    Also US tax rates (top rate)...
On a very basic non partisan human level, my view is simply that nobody is worth more than a certain amount of money per year. That limit is debatable but lets say a couple of million (yes please!). The rest of the money should go to the common good. For all the people that no longer want to do what they are doing because of the wage cut... fine, there will be others who will do a lot for a couple of million per year. Profits on money earned on non productive speculative...
And if they go hungry, let them eat cake. And that some people earn millions from playing with hedge funds, that is fine. Because they really contribute to the US economy and it would be unreasonable to ask them for more. If they did, well they might end up having to eat cake, too.
Historically the US has prospered when taxes have been high. In the 1962 the rich were taxed almost double what they are now. At the same time the middle class also saw real growth in income. The earnings inequality has never been greater than it is now. in 2005 the combined wealth of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates was approximately the same as that of the 120 million people who made up the bottom 40% of the US population. It beats me why people can possibly think that some...
If we base it on a standard broad sheet the ideal width of an iPad is approx 23". A tabloid is 11 x 16 - ish, so perhaps the new maxi Pad needs to be 11x16 if we can convince the gentry to stoop to the tabloid format (I doubt it). If not Apple may have to introduce the iPad BS  (approx 29" x 23"). Perhaps it could be hinged at 14.5" for easier folding (with a nice 'crinkle' sound effect)
Yes, and very nice, too. But as I am sure you are aware. Flipping sections or turning pages can be a major undertaking that frequently ends in disaster. Oh, and that tube / subway / metro carriage is positively empty. Try again at 5pm...;)
I think you are old and need a new pair of glasses! Joking aside, personal computing history generally shows that small is beautiful. A larger iPad may sell well and be a flagship pro product, but I can't see commuters opening their broad sheet iPads to take in the latest financial news as they travel.Those days are gone.  
Its a vague and imprecise definition at best. You could argue that the original iPad was a 'me too' product, a better one, perhaps, but tablets already existed, right? Apple saw tablets and thought, yeah, me too, only one that actually makes sense.    And 'me too' is portrayed as a 'negative', but really it isn't. In Apple's case it is smart. They waited until the market was created and proven, and then they jumped in with a superior product. The key words here being...