or Connect

Posts by bloodycelt

History shows that history is perhaps the most useless subject since we are doomed to repeat it, all the knowledge does is let you see the freight train at the end of the tunnel, not like you can do anything about it.   But lets use history to "forecast":    - Apple has been focusing on its target market which is becoming more and more: upper class teenagers. As the global economy continues to degenerate, the "professional" class which are the buyers of their pro...
I think what people fail to realize is that the PRO market as a whole is no longer feasible to support. Nor do I think the amount of people needing those tools are going to increase. A buddy of mine used to run an expensive sound recording studio, which closed once the average person could make a mix tape. The Creative Professionals most impacted by this are the independent ones that did wedding videos or professional photography. Companies that do movies like Avatar...
For what its worth, while my company does not use Java 1.4 AFAIK. However many of our internal servers are duct-taped with perl 4, running red hat 4 or 3, apache 1, and if they did run java... probably something old. Given that the staff that built it is no longer with us... we just maintain it. Not enough bandwidth to upgrade since it would mean at this point rewriting large chunks of perl scripts.   And every company I have been at big and small generally follows a...
Deprecating Carbon also adds another list of good but older games that will also be deprecated. Unlike professional software that is maintained and upgraded every few years or so. Games have a business model of build it, support for maybe 1-2 years and then move to the next game. Sometimes if we are lucky we get a game ported to work with OSX when Apple decides to change something, but considering many are windows ports and licensed for a set amount of years many games...
1.) I'm able to have a 3DS, a PSP, a phone, and an iPad on me when traveling, I don't see what someone's obsession of one device is warranted. 2.) The iPad has pretty much taken over video playback and web browsing from my psp and phone respectively. I still use an iPod for music play... simply because its more convenient for me. 3.) The PSP Vita (and PSP) allow me to do something that you can't with anything else: play a psOne classic and sync between the PS3 and...
A camera is a tool, it takes a picture to send information. It doesn't matter if the pic is grainy or murky... if it conveys how much your brother is getting wasted... then it performs the service of him getting grounded by mommy, and the school suspending him when you post it on Facebook. Hence a phone camera is good enough for the job. Dedicated cameras will become like fax machines, a small market for the handful of people (compared to everyone else) that need...
If you want proper english here is some: "Hwæt. We Gardena in gear-dagum, þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon." Anything else has been corrupted by french, bastardized by vowel-shifting, clever writers, and inconsistent pronunciation.
Hmm... its more of a problem that some software is not going to be updated. Starcraft 1, Diablo 2 for example. Other games as well. Unlike utility software like Office or Photoshop. Most companies release a game, then a few patches and then abandon it. And then there are unsupported software that may be essential, Pagemaker users are still stuck in Classic (I know someone who works in updating legacy files in pagemaker. They can't migrate to a modern system since it...
The Japanese market has had mobile gaming for quite a while. Also their phones do pretty much everything. However the DS and the Advance before it have had strong sales. Part of the reasons are that a dedicated game pad layout is necessary for certain game types. In fact I tried playing tetris on an iPhone, didn't work out so well. Myst on the other hand and that gyroscope racing game do manage to shine on an iPhone. But the 3DS will sell, I think the current numbers...
As of current its not much different than buying an app from Steam or Aspyr's service. Brick and Mortar software for apple is not going to change that much. We'll still have a small collection of pro and consumer apps people need from the Apple Store itself (Office, Creative Suite). And Mac & PC releases of some software (Starcraft II). What this does is collect what many people generally have to go to tuaw, macupdate,macheist and various blogs, google sites, etc to...