or Connect

Posts by Chris Cuilla

Maybe. I kinda assume it will be quite modern in design. But maybe not. Sometimes I think we all have something of a caricature of Steve Jobs built up in our minds and that he could truly surprise us all. Assuming of course anyone will ever get to take any pictures of it.
Personally I'd love to see what Steve Jobs' dream house will look like. Will it be all modern? More traditional? he's got a family who will likely have some say in all of it. On a related note, I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple's new/second campus will look like. P.S. Won't it be funny (ironic) if 50 years from now (for those of us that are still alive) if people are having the exact same discussion about someone wanting to tear down Steve Jobs' house and someone...
I was thinking the same thing when the discussion of the SD card slot came up in another thread. It might sound crazy, but I can imagine the path forward that drops those huge (relatively speaking) optical drives. The CD/DVD drive is a severe constraint for Apple in making their laptops smaller, cheaper, lower power consumption, lighter, etc. SD card slot looks like a promising option. One step would be to deliver OS X on an SD card (this will require all Macs to have the...
Since June 21st became the summer solstice.
As the article pointed out Apple is clearly learning (roll out something smaller and in beta before releasing the whole thing). Learning companies are good companies to invest in. Apple is carefully dipping its toe into the "cloud computing" or "web applications" or "software as a service" waters. This is a good thing. No point in denying the reality of where things are going. While not exclusively web-based (like Google) it is clearly trying to figure out what the...
What is this supposed to mean? Just because they ship a product with, initially, a smaller set of features doesn't imply there is some kind of nefarious "trick" lurking behind it all. It's actually wise product and, specifically, software development. Get something simpler, smaller, yet functional and valuable out there for customers. It won't meet everyone's needs right away. No problem. Don't buy it if it doesn't. If it does, at some point in the future, then buy it....
True. This really looks more like SharePoint than GoogleDocs. That isn't to say that it won't evolve. It probably will if they find a willing customer base.
Extortionate? Really? I don't see how this seems extortionate at all. I don't see how Apple is going to make anyone pay for anything here. They are simply trying to develop a new service that they (obviously) think will have value to some people, enough value that those people will willingly and voluntarily pay for the service. Clearly it remains to be seen if any paying customers agree. But there's no extortion involved here.
Almost certainly this (along with the aluminum uni-body manufacturing technology/process) is what Apple was referring to when they talked about product transitions leading to lower margins but significant competitive advantage. What's interesting is that this is that this shows better than anything how Apple is investing for the long term. Undoubtedly these are manufacturing technologies that are resulting in higher costs now but will result in lower costs (and even...
But this is an arbitrary distinction over a relatively arbitrary line on a map. Tell me, are you equally concerned about moving jobs out of your state? Your city? Your neighborhood? Your house? Do you do everything for yourself or do you trade with others because it is more cost effective for you to do so? The thing many people don't realize is that trade makes everyone better off and isolationism makes everyone worse off. The fact that sometimes that trade occurs across...