or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

So Apple is supposed to develop a brand new 10nm fabrication process... And then what? That brings us right back to the point that Apple would still need SOMEONE to build all of the chips they need. Worse, one of those people is Samsung, who would no doubt take Apple's process technology and apply it to their own devices.
Anyone want to place bets on size vs battery life? Same thickness and dramatically extended life, or roughly the same but 30% (or whatever) thinner?
  Kind of misses the point. The iPad has much better processors, graphics, and storage. You'd do best to use the iPad as the "console" and use 802.11ac and h.265 to stream the video to the big screen.   Upgrade the AppleTV with all of those things, and you're going to have to upgrade the price point too....
The "form-fitting" market is going to be a tough one, as Apple tends to change the design every couple of years. And these things are going to be a lot more expensive to product than a simple case.   If I were a manufacturer, I'd focus on the standalone version, as that can be used with iPads too.   As well as (potentially) an Apple TV...
It should have been obvious that this wasn't a final design, and that more changes would occur before the final release and launch date.
It could mean improved battery life, but knowing Apple it just means they'll cut the battery size in order to make the silly thing 1mm thinner.
Personally, I'm getting tired of this. So, yes, we're going to have a mini, and yes, it's going to be "retina", and yes, Apple is going to do the same copout move by simply doubling pixels.   Hey, I've got a crazy idea. How about teaching your developers how to do resolution independence?
  Wait? What? iPad apps are iPad apps, and we already have Retina iPads... with existing apps... that already use larger images and graphics. Thus a app for a "retina" iPad mini won't take up any more space that the same app downloaded to a non-retina mini.   You're not making any sense.
  Look at Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and then finally 3.1. Look at how the initial sales of the Xbox fell flat, and only recently has been considered a major platform.   Microsoft has pockets deep enough to spend their way into a market, should they decide to do so. They have to keep pushing though, and not simply Zune-out after a few disappointing quarters...
  Unfortunately, Microsoft still has a huge war chest, while RIM's cupboards are looking pretty bare. It's entirely possible that MS could spend their way into acceptance, even if we have to wait for WP9 or WP10.   Agreed that there's still room for a third. Nice analysis.