or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

I never said anything about overtaking Apple. I did, however, imply that HP could have focused their efforts (and designs) on markets that Apple is never going to go after. If you're doing a custom restaurant menu system, you need a sturdy tablet that can take abuse, be dropped, and so on. Think iPad "Toughbook." And since it's also basically a custom terminal running custom software, the fact that Apple has 100 zillion apps is meaningless. It does what it does and that's...
HP bailed too soon. There's a consumer tablet (iPad) market to be sure, and then there's a business market. Look at the businesses that are integrating iPads in cash register systems, restaurant menus, and so on. There's a need for custom designs (pads that can be misused and dropped, for one) that Apple simply isn't going to fill.
Was going to continue, but that changed my mind. There's political discussion, and then there's political fanaticism...
Spending is spending is spending. Going into debt to finance spending is a problem, "revenue" or not.Wisconsin, anyone? Then there the minor matter of holding the entire country ransom over the debt issue. (Kind of like a child throwing a tantrum until his demands are met.)I wasn't aware Iraq was invading the US. The towers came down and very nearly the first thing out of Bush's mouth was (and I paraphrase), "How can we pin this on Iraq?" 9/11 was a tragedy, but nearly...
Lost Decade (Japan) The strong economic growth of the 1980s ended abruptly at the start of the 1990s. In the late 1980s, abnormalities within the Japanese economic system had fueled a massive wave of speculation by Japanese companies, banks and securities companies. A combination of exceptionally high land values and exceptionally low interest rates briefly led to a position in which credit was both easily available and extremely cheap. This led to massive borrowing, the...
Or the dialog of people who are sick and tired of having jobs off-shored, pay cut, benefits slashed, and watching unemployment numbers skyrocket while the top US corporations enjoy record year-over-year profits, all while paying no taxes. (Exxon) Or the dialog of people who are tired of watching a few at the very top walk away with a multi-million dollar golden parachute after basically destroying the companies they were hired with great fanfare to run. (Carly, Lee, et...
Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China [not free, but tremendous economic success], Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, South Korea, and the United Kingdom. All have socialized medicine and universal (or near universal) health care.
Down to insults, are we? Once you go past the sound bite, there's not much left, is there?
Play the class-envy card? Watch Fox much? THOSE low-income earners ... get it ALL back and MORE... Got numbers to back that up? Across the entire range of low-to middle class workers? (And BTW, stop playing the class card. Those people...) Hell, you probably got all of your taxes back too... in education, roads, infrastructure maintenance, et al [sic]. "47% pay NO taxes" Income taxes, dolt. At least get your sound bit right. FICA et al are taxes too. Tweaking the donkey's...
"In 2004, Congress passed the Homeland Investment Act, allowing companies to bring back offshore profits in 2005 and pay a tax rate of just 5.25 percent, far below the 35 percent corporate tax rate. Congress passed the bill because corporations said the money would go towards domestic job creation." "However, according to work done by the National Bureau of Economic Research, 92 percent of the nearly $300 billion that companies brought back went to share buybacks and...