or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

Sloppy was obviously referring to the recent "too big to fail" government bailouts given to Detroit. To quote, "You mean the automotive plants that required a massive government bailout just to keep from going under?" So the correct answer to the question of them getting a massive government BAILOUT would be... No. Again. That settled, and as I said above, they DID get concessions in Alabama and Texas and Kentucky. They also created thousands of jobs, which in turn have...
Yet. They're just starting, after all.
Jobs built off of Woz, who WAS an engineer. Gates studied and wrote software. Those people grew up immersed in the Silicon Valley culture. They were surrounded by DEC and HP and Bell Telephone Laboratories. By Shockley Semiconductor, Fairchild Semiconductor, and Xerox PARC. It's the nature vs. nurture argument, and those people were created deep in our technological womb... Which is vanishing...
It's not bigotry. It's a simple acknowledgment of what's likely to happen when you continue to export your expertise offshore.
Foxconn has large factories in China and Mexico, and very likely will open a plant in Brazil. Last time I checked, neither Mexico nor Brazil were reachable by rail from Asian suppliers. If it can be done there, it can be done here.
Yes, they got concessions in Alabama and Texas and Kentucky. They've also, as I said, created thousands of jobs, which in turn have been a major boon to the local economies. Ask the governors involved why they fought so hard to get them to build in their states, and if they'd do it again. Oh, and that was a very nice attempt to switch attention from your "massive government bailout" mistake. Didn't work, of course. But nice try. And, "You're argument fails..."? That would...
It's not just "manufacturing" jobs. It's engineering and technical jobs, which translates into engineering and technical expertise. And if we let that go overseas, we're in deep trouble. Because then it's extremely likely that the next Jobs and Gates will be named Mu Li and Siddharth Rajam...
Nope. Read the original post: "If Hyundai and Honda and Toyota can build cars here in the US -- and make a profit doing so -- then Apple could build computers here and do the same." Now, did we give Hyundai and Honda and Toyota a massive government bailout? Let's see... that would be... No. In the future, it might help if you learned to read for comprehension so you can make a sound and well-reasoned argument... and not look like an idiot. I mean, that sort of thing is...
You realize that the two sentences above, coupled with your inability to properly spell and use a simple four letter word, speaks volumes about your probable education level and worldview? Turn off Fox and try reading an actual book.
To repeat a previous reply, the automotive plants I mentioned are all highly automated, and still manage to employ hundreds of people each, and they do it here in the US. Those people, in turn, support and help maintain many local businesses buying groceries, clothing, furniture and appliances, by going out to restaurants, and so on. They buy homes. They pay local and state and property taxes, which, in addition to the factory itself, could have a major impact on the...