or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

Apple wants to sell devices, sure. But they've also done more to modernize the industry that anyone else. Look at the recording industry. Apple did everything possible to drag the labels into the 21st century, and they've kicked, screamed, and fought every step of the way. If Apple hadn't gotten the labels into iTunes, I'm willing to bet that we STILL wouldn't have a DRM-free sales channel with a pricing structure that makes sense. Just look at the mess that's Hulu. They...
If they do fiberglass then they'll also need to do some sort of interior metal chassis to hold the various parts, and to act as a heat sink, then attach the case to the chassis. This, in turn, means that it could be tough to do a really thin and light case that's strong enough. It also means, parts and price-wise, that you have to manufacture not only the case, but the chassis as well, then assemble them both. Each part runs up the price and the cost of assembly. Though a...
This is the obvious outcome of Apple and others spending billions on the Nortel patent collection. Now every company with an aging patent portfolio is going to look at cashing in by selling them off to the highest bidder, who in turn will use them to hamper and harass the competition. This is NOT how the patent system is supposed to work.
This may be a news flash, but most digital cameras take tons of pictures that do little more than waste space on a hard drive and that no one has looked at for years. Going back even further, most film cameras took tons of pictures that did little more that fill up a shelf full of shoeboxes. As to your other qualms, you're assuming, of course that you HAVE your other camera with you. That its battery is in fact charged. That the SD card isn't full. And so on. Managing...
Depends, depends, depends. I dug out my Canon 1Ds and 70-200 f/2.8 IS for a special event last weekend... and I'd forgotten just how big, heavy, and clunky the thing actually is. Especially packing the 28-70 and 16-35 to go with... I could, in fact, see the Micro 4/3 and APS-C sensors in a prosumer P&S "stealing" the market from the DSLRs, especially as their low-light quality improves. Studios are using 6x4.5 30MP and up medium format anyway. So, camera phones, APS-C,...
Yeah, the camera companies missed the boat on this one.Also look at how smartphone apps let you do a million or so special effects (shooting modes), editing, and more.A phone's optics offen leave much to be desired, but its high-res touch screen, high-speed processor (compared to a camera), and 3G/WiFi connectivity make up for an awful lot.
It's not that it's not important, it's whether or not you're willing to carry yet another device. As I said above, The family S95 and G11 are only pulled out for special occassions.You can be "complementary", and still be in a declining market. Full-up GPS systems are "complementary". Full-up video cameras are "complementary". Full-up game systems are "complementary".But they're being replaced for day to day use, nonetheless.And as megapixel counts go up (we're around 8MP,...
In my family, the iPhone is the go-to device for most of the moment-to-moment photo ops. It's good enough. Even the pocketable Canon S95 is only pulled out for trips, parties, and special event snapshot taking.
The second Apple announced their Thunderbolt-equiped Macs at the beginning of the year this was inevitable. Of COURSE they're going to do a Thunderbolt-enabled monitor. So if you bought AFTER the Thunderbolt announcement, then you and the "rep" are... well... idiots. If you bought BEFORE the Thunderbolt announcement, then you're partially excused, and I don't see how some Apple "rep" is supposed to know what Apple has cooking away, hidden in the lab. Why only partially?...
A subsidized phone is a subsidized phone. And "saving" $100 up front when you're going to be spending $100 or so a month for the next two years seems more than a little shortsighted...