or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

Yeah, the camera companies missed the boat on this one.Also look at how smartphone apps let you do a million or so special effects (shooting modes), editing, and more.A phone's optics offen leave much to be desired, but its high-res touch screen, high-speed processor (compared to a camera), and 3G/WiFi connectivity make up for an awful lot.
It's not that it's not important, it's whether or not you're willing to carry yet another device. As I said above, The family S95 and G11 are only pulled out for special occassions.You can be "complementary", and still be in a declining market. Full-up GPS systems are "complementary". Full-up video cameras are "complementary". Full-up game systems are "complementary".But they're being replaced for day to day use, nonetheless.And as megapixel counts go up (we're around 8MP,...
In my family, the iPhone is the go-to device for most of the moment-to-moment photo ops. It's good enough. Even the pocketable Canon S95 is only pulled out for trips, parties, and special event snapshot taking.
The second Apple announced their Thunderbolt-equiped Macs at the beginning of the year this was inevitable. Of COURSE they're going to do a Thunderbolt-enabled monitor. So if you bought AFTER the Thunderbolt announcement, then you and the "rep" are... well... idiots. If you bought BEFORE the Thunderbolt announcement, then you're partially excused, and I don't see how some Apple "rep" is supposed to know what Apple has cooking away, hidden in the lab. Why only partially?...
A subsidized phone is a subsidized phone. And "saving" $100 up front when you're going to be spending $100 or so a month for the next two years seems more than a little shortsighted...
Near as I can see, this doesn't help apps like the Kindle who'd like to enable in-app purchases. Under the Agency model, the publisher sets the price, and Amazon gets 30%. Amazon can't change the price, so they're screwed. Apple would do better to drop the in-app purchase cut for third-party content (books, movies, etc.) to 15%. At that rate, at least they'd get a piece of the action. As is, no in-app purchase option for Kindle. Or Netflix. Or...
You could still "buy" a free app from the App Store. Or it could be a mere $4.99, like the Developer tools.
Ummm.... the Republican idea of "reform" is preventing or even eliminating class action lawsuits, and capping damages. Take a peek at the following: "The Tennessee General Assembly approved HB 2008 that places a cap of $750,000 on non-economic damages such as pain and emotional suffering and a $500,000 cap on economic or punitive damages. The bill also places a $1 million cap on catastrophic cases, a cap that would apply in instances where a person became paralyzed,...
The problem is that, as the article notes, X2y Attenuators is an "intellectual property" company that produces nothing. Same with Lodsys. As such, their only reason for existence is "licensing" and/or suing other companies. There are thousands of them out there, hidden in the woodwork like cockroaches. Hell, Lodsys was created and staffed SOLELY to hunt down companies that "violate" their patent. The company is a shell. It has no assets. There's nothing to countersue. Try...
What magicj said. To date, almost no one has hit on functionality, style, size, and price. No one offers a superior experience, and almost every one suffers from some fatal flaw on the software side of the fence. (No email RIM? Really?) At best, their primary reason to buy seems to be: "Hey! We have a tablet too!" When that gets no response they then frantically play the Flash card, to which many people (including me) yawn and say, "Who cares?" I get along just fine...