or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

True, but does Apple care? Apple has shown time and again that they have little to no interest in market share simply for the sake of market share. As with PC's, they're more than happy to let other manufacturers undercut each other to make pennies on the low end, while Apple takes your dollars on the high end. In fact, they're extremely happy to let everyone else fight for table scraps, because that means that everyone else is too busy to take them on at the high end.
You might then be too young to remember just how fast Google blew by the current search engine king of it's day, Alta Vista. Alta Vista was a highly regarded search engine that lost its lead seemingly overnight, when Google launched their popularity-based search engine that delivered better results. The point being that search audiences are fickle creatures, and another site is just be a click away on the web. Let some hotshot developer figure out how to properly do...
Yeah, 'cause that "open" OS has done so well in dominating the desktop. What's that Linux desktop market share again? Still less than one percent? And, BTW, RFID-chipping the iPhone could well be the next big thing. Plenty of people in Japan use chipped phones every day for quick and easy purchases from stores to transportation to vending machines. Or Apple could go in with Visa to embed credit card payment systems into the phone. Who knows? We could eventually replace our...
I don't agree. This seems to provide the Android market with a built-in excuse. "The PLATFORM is fine. It's all of those crappy phones that are the problem." But I doubt the market will see it that way. If too many companies tout their latest Android hardware as the greatest thing since sliced bread and then fail to deliver, plenty of that mud is going to stick to Android. "Android phones suck." The flipside, of course, is that they could in fact make great phones....
The whole world is in a recession... so why is why Apple is enjoying record sales, and why did the stock just hit a record high? If the recession is to blame, then why aren't they suffering as well? Look on Amazon's Best Selling Electronics list. The Touch (32GB) is #3, the 8GB is #5, the 64GB is #37, and even the old 16GB is #77. No games or consoles are listed in the top 100. (Though, oddly enough, the Kindle is somehow #1.) Even in the dedicated video game...
Does Flash support HARDWARE decoding of H.264?
If it means replacing Oracle or Sun servers with Microsoft products, then they would in fact be eating their own dogfood in that regard. That is, using their own products to do what they're designed to do and to fulfill those functions, and not use someone else's. It's part of the reason Balmer goes crazy whenever he see's a MS employee with an iPhone...
There's a bug in Snow Leopard that prevents mounting volumes via AFP on Netware and OES Linux and when attempting to mount OS 9 shares under OS X. The bug was present in earlier builds of Snow Leopard, but wasn't fixed in the final release. A friend has a cluster of old macs running OS 9 for some work and can no longer get to them from OS X after I upgraded his system to Snow Leopard. To say he's pissed would be an understatement.
When surfing "dark places" I use OS X Fast User Switching to bump over to a non-admin account and run Firefox with Private Browsing on and Java and Javascript off.
I was really hoping for a device with roughly four times the screen real estate of an iPhone, which translates into somewhere around a six inch diagonal. That would make a device that's pocketable (in a coat or jacket pocket), but not so big that you'd need a backpack to carry it. It would also make a good 'tween device for when you need more than your iPhone, but don't want to carry that 15" MacBook Pro. Make it too large (and 10" is too large) and you might as well...