or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

When surfing "dark places" I use OS X Fast User Switching to bump over to a non-admin account and run Firefox with Private Browsing on and Java and Javascript off.
I was really hoping for a device with roughly four times the screen real estate of an iPhone, which translates into somewhere around a six inch diagonal. That would make a device that's pocketable (in a coat or jacket pocket), but not so big that you'd need a backpack to carry it. It would also make a good 'tween device for when you need more than your iPhone, but don't want to carry that 15" MacBook Pro. Make it too large (and 10" is too large) and you might as well...
Does Microsoft Bob mean anything to you?
A "less scratchable matte plastic body?" You mean a non-mirrored iPod/iPhone surface that's NOT a fingerprint magnet? Steve would NEVER let it happen.
Isn't turn-by-turn nav one of those things best left to dedicated devices and automobile dashboards? If you're on a trip long enough to require turn-by-turn directions, aren't you probably going to want to use your phone as, well, a phone? Check email or text messages at the stop light? Listen to music or audiobooks along the way?
I too have quite a few crappy sci-fi paperbacks purchased over the decades, and unfortunately I CAN'T read most of them. The paper has yellowed and the spines have all cracked and hardened and pretty much the ONLY thing many of them are now good for is sitting on a shelf. What good is a book that can't be read? On the flip side I also have quite a few ebooks that I've read on a Palm, a HP iPaq, a notebook, and now on my iPhone using Stanza. Between those and the audiobooks...
I had a K1 AND I had a K2, and also have Kindle Reader and Stanza on the iPhone. Of the three, I tend to prefer the iPhone. I can easily read text on the iPhone at one level below the standard font size, while the low-contrast screen on the K2 required me to INCREASE the size up one level in almost any situation other than sitting outdoors in direct sunlight. The result? At those settings one can actually see MORE text per page on the iPhone, even though the Kindle has a...
Apple needs to get all of their applications and system utilities under the same UI, whatever it is. That said, I hope they're not going down the Microsoft path and now each year we're going to get a new UI simply for the sake of changing the UI.
The Palm PRE "looks" to surpass. "Indications" are that... All qualifiers, and all pretty much worthless until someone gets the phone in their hot little hands and we see if it lives up to the hype. The LG didn't. And neither did the Storm. Besides, if I were Apple I'd be less than worried about a "me too" touchscreen phone tied to the nation's 4th largest network. Oh, and manufactured by a company desperately in need of a "Hail Mary" play.
Apple said that the 3.0 release will add over a hundred new features to the iPhone. As such, I'm sure that there are plenty of things still hidden behind the curtain, waiting for the office public announcement and, probably, for the next-generation iPhone 3G.