or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

Personally, I disagree with the entire premise. Netbooks are not eroding PC notebook or desktop sales to any significant degree. First, the type of person that is going to buy a netbook for his main computer is probably the same person who would have bought the cheapest notebook or desktop anyway. Machines that already run on the thinnest of margins. After all, does it make a major difference to Dell if they sell you an Inspiron mini 12 ($399) or their cheapest Inspiron...
According to some recent numbers, 40% of the browser hits coming from Apple mobile devices are coming from the iPod Touch, a high-priced non-subsidized iPod. And starting at $229, it's at the low end even for a netbook. So you can check your email, do a little web browsing, play some games, listen to your music, and watch some TV and a movie or two, all on a pocket-sized device that costs less than the average netbook. Sounds to me like they're competing just fine. All...
Wait... you can do that?????
Or because someone else that YOU were depending on failed to meet THEIR delivery date. In which case you suck it up, walk into your boss's office, and tell him it's going to miss.
How do you translate a component shortage or delay (which the article implies) with "really struggling with their quality control"? If we hear about problems AFTER they ship it then you can complain about QC issues. Until then...
Well, look at the iPod. With the Shuffle, Nano, Classic, and Touch they have 'pods at nearly every price point.Precisely. As many companies have learned far too late, it's much, much better to cannibalize your own product line than let someone else do it. My money is on Apple doing an oversized Touch, perhaps 4x6 or 5x7 max. Any larger and the touchscreen keyboard would be too awkward to use, and you'd be reaching the point where you might as well carry a notebook. A...
"Additionally, while Microsoft was building Windows from a relatively clean slate..." How can you say that with a straight face? Windows 3X, 95, 98, and Me were all built on top of DOS, were compatable with DOS extended memory managers, and all used (or supported) the orginal DOS-based FAT file system.
Remember if you upgrade you're going from 128kbps to 256kbps, and that as a result the file size will be effectively TWICE as large. Nano owners with limited space be warned.
So don't upgrade. Your old music works just fine, doesn't it? Besides, you're now also getting higher quality files from the other three labels, so it's not like you're not getting anything for your money. Think DVD to BluRay...
From the earlier article, "People familiar with these plans have described the [iMac] refresh to consist of 'speed bumps' rather than major internal or external changes." So no one is buying iMacs because of a few "speed bumps"?