or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

You're complaining about errors in Apple's massive undertaking... and you can't even get an eight-word sentence grammatically correct? (grin)
  We've been told that Lightning is a digital-only cable and protocol. Any conversion to, say, line-out audio for a speaker, would happen in the cable or adaptor. The best example of this is the 30-pin adaptor which a D/AC chip in it in order to get the audio line out from the data stream.
Next time someone needs to ask the followup question, "Is it true that you refused to license turn-by-turn and other advanced mapping features to Apple?"
One other thing I've not really seen mentioned, is that the Lightning port can also function as a USB host, not just as a client. This -- with the proper adaptor -- would allow cameras and other peripherals to be connected to an iPhone or iPad.
  Actually, if you were to look back over the comments, you'll note that I continually maintained that the cable would be chipped to support higher speeds and updates to protocols. (True.) I said that the plug was data only. (True.) I also said one approach to making the connector reversible was mirroring the pin-outs, which, apparently, they did for the power line, if not for the entire plug. Speaking of reversible...   'Nuff said.     First, you'll also note that video...
This issue may have bee forced on Apple by Google, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple decided to release a product (Maps) that wasn't ready for prime time. Like Siri, however, Apple had an annual product schedule to meet, and it was either ship it now or wait another year. See: Hate Maps? Blame Apple's Shrink Wrap Product Cycles http://www.isights.org/2012/09/apples-shrink-wrapped-product-cycles.html
  This is going to be Apple's major dilemma, I think. Build enough of them early enough to meet demand, and they're going to be leaked. Announce earlier, and you give competitors time to jump in and steal some of your thunder.
The language they used was 8 pins for signaling. Technically, ground isn't signaling.
  Personally, I think Thunderbolt will come, and using the same connector. Remember how Thunderbolt cables are "chipped" so that in the future optical cables and connectors would still be compatible with existing "wired" cables and connections? The same type of thing can and will be done here. 
  Well, I think you'll be able to support most of the existing docks and devices with the 30-pin to 9-pin-and-phono-plug adaptor. That will give you almost everything you need for now except video, and the future of audio/video is streaming via AirPlay and low-power Bluetooth 4.0.    Heck, one has only to look at the external speaker market to realize that everyone is going Bluetooth, as that gives you iOS, Android and Windows 8 phones and tablet support.