or Connect

Posts by ahmlco

Well, there's two things operating here. One is that the existing dock connector has become, relatively speaking, huge. Apple loves to make things smaller and thinner. Big plugs (like we saw with EtherNet and FW on the new MBP) are in the way.   Second, USB 2.0 is slow, and their competition is going to move along to USB 3.0. As SolipsismX pointed out, Apple can't stay tied to USB 2.0 forever.   Apple is definitely a long term company. But "long term" also means...
BTW, a lot of people will probably cry about the "failings" of the new dock connector... right up to the point where they can sync and move data 10x faster.
  Everyone else -- including you -- was hell bent on discussing the "8-pin" connector, I went along. (grin)   And I DON'T expect the new dock connector to have all of the same features as the current version. If Apple were going to make it exactly the same, why switch at all? The new dock connecter is for streaming data at high speed. No old-school audio-only lines. No old-school composite or component video out lines.    You want audio out or mic in? Use the phono plug....
  Sigh. I did say "8-pin (plus ground)" did I not? Have you not seen the... ah... proposed photos of the new connector?   http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/alleged-photos-of-new-dock-connector-surface/   The metal plug is the ground and as such is, in itself, the "9th" pin.   And again, please try to read for comprehension. I said you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry just to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector. You implied that doing a...
  Kill it? Or reboot it? After all, how many speaker docks do you need? But as more and more devices incorporate the new standard, it becomes more and more likely that someone will decide to replace their "obsolete" dock or speakers... resulting in more accessory sales, not less.   Audio line out? Ummm... well, I suspect we're (you're) in for a surprise there. You do know the new cables are chipped, right?   As for video out, yeah, it's as dead as the CD/DVD slot and the...
  No, I don't think 2.0 will suffice, that's why I mentioned USB 3.0, the standard implementation of which uses 9-pins. However, with Apple doing a custom plug, I doubt their implementation will be standard. And I don't doubt their implementation will be sophisticated. I merely stated that you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector.
  You're not thinking again. This kind of connector is a transition device. Nothing more, nothing less. Apple probably knows within a week just how often people transition docks and speakers and other accessories (18 months), and an adaptor like this one gets them over that hump, after which people will simply byte the bullet and upgrade the rest of their gear.
  Complex and sophisticated? On an 8-pin connector? Hell, you can run USB 2.0 on 4 wires, which means if the connectors are solid and pass through I could make it reversible just by mirroring the lines on both halves (12344321) on both sides. If they DON'T pass through, then a simple double-sided circuit board type of layout means I could run 12345678 on one side and 87654321 on the other. No "sophisticated and complex circuitry" needed whatsoever.   Come on people,...
  Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.
  Like I said above, the new 8-pin docking port connector WILL be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin adaptor, however, will not be reversible, because it will also use the audio jack plug to deliver the proper audio and digital connections to older 30-pin plugs.