or Connect

Posts by frugality

Regarding the term 'BRAND': Microsoft was trying to integrate their IE browser to the Windows OS and basically saying "This is Microsoft's BRAND. We have a right to do what we want with our software." To those of you who are arguing that Apple has a right to keep a lock on both hardware and software because it's the Apple BRAND -- do you then agree that Microsoft has a right to integrate IE into the Windows OS as part of their BRAND? The anti-trust regulators...
And Microsoft said that their software was their software, and they had the right to integrate Internet Explorer into their software. At issue is whether Apple's EULA is legal to be bound to a specific hardware. Microsoft's "EULA", in essence, was to force everyone to use IE if they wanted Windows. The federal anti-trust regulators here in the US and in Europe decided that Microsoft had too much of a monopoly in the browser department, and forced MS to 'play nice' with...
If these computers aren't reliable, they won't sell. This is a perfect test of, as you say, "whether Apple's approach creates a better computer, and whether its significant markup is worth paying for." Right now, Apple has a monopoly on OS-X-running computers. Apple's hardware doesn't have the same competition that Dell's hardware has. Dell has to make a reliable product at a competitive price to whatever HP, Sony, etc., are putting out. That's one of the main reasons...
1) Your Macbook is not outdated. It wasn't a huge upgrade anyway. 2) Steve Jobs didn't do anything wrong here. If you were living back in the '20s, you'd say Henry Ford didn't have integrity when he released a new Model A Ford, and you'd just bought the previous version. That's just the way it goes. Any manufacturer has to keep the new model under wraps for as long as possible, to try to keep an edge on the competition. You buy the available model, or you take a...
Given this quote from this article...:http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=84873...and given some other rumors of price drops due to falling flash memory prices, I don't think we'll have to wait until next Christmas. After a small rest from the recent Shuffle and MacBook announcements, I have a hunch we'll see an increase in memory in the non-Touch iPods (like we just saw with the Touch and iPhone), or a decrease in price in iPods, or both. Probably in the not...
I'm waiting for a price drop, too. I want a 32GB version, but would only buy if it were more like $400. But I doubt we'll see it very soon. Apple just dropped the price on the Shuffle, and just announced MacBook and MacBook Pro upgrades. That's a fair number of announcements. I doubt they'd announce any other deals for a while. Also, the 32GB model was introduced 3 weeks ago. If they dropped the price so soon, they'd annoy the people who bought them already, just...
Not for those of us who bought a MBP prior to the latest upgrade.
In retrospect I'm glad I didn't wait for this Macworld announcement hoping for a MBP upgrade. I bought a MBP in early Dec. I absolutely detest the chiclet keyboard...too bad Apple feels the need to use it on all their new computers. This new name is going to cause confusion....the MBA....
I'm having a similar problem. I have a 2-week-old MacBook Pro that came with Leopard installed. When coming out of sleep mode, it often wouldn't reconnect to the router. Or, rather, it SAID it was connected to the Linksys router, but would transfer no data, or transfer data painfully slowly. Then more recently I've been surfing along with an active connection, and then it would just bog down to a virtal standstill. In all these instances, I would reboot and it would...
"O Microsoft, Microsoft, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. Look, your house is left to you desolate." Actually, I'm hoping to use my MBP to video-record our adult Sunday school classes, and the PC will be going into the auditorium for using the PC-based projection software for the hymn and praise song lyrics, which I run. So...