or Connect

Posts by frugality

My prognostication: Apple will unveil a completely new device -- the guts of an iPad with a keyboard and no touch-screen. Meaning: an Apple version of the Chromebook. This will become the Macbook Air. The iCloud is now in place for them to do what Google is doing. (This prognostication could jive with the rumors that Apple has run Macbook Airs with A5 chips.) The current Macbook Air will -- as Steve said at the release of the Air last summer -- be what the Macbook...
do, or do not....there is no try.....
Wrong. It means that good design does actually exist outside of Apple. If you can't see that.....then keep drinking the kool-aide....
So someone could have trademarked 'grocery store' back in the day. So it comes down not to ingenuity and inventiveness, but merely timing. Sorry, I don't buy it. I hope our legal system is indeed smarter than that. (I may be reaching here.) I can see it now.....around a conference table at Apple...."so what are we going to call this place where you can buy our Apps?"......."Well 'DUH', Bob....we call it the App Store!"...."Quick, let's trademark it because it's so...
The term 'app' wasn't coined by Apple. It was in use before Apple. Apple did make it popular with the popularity of iOS devices, but that doens't make it trademark-able by Apple. Back in the day......computers ran programs. Today......devices run apps. It's generic.
Would Apple need to file with the FCC if there was no inherent difference between this version of Airport Extreme and the previous one? I doubt it. There must be something more substantially changed than Apple is letting on. Looking forward to a tear-down....
greed gotta love it....
I was hoping that the Time Capsule would become more NAS-like. I'd like something that could run my Logitech Squeezebox jukebox software. Imagine that a Time Capsule ran iOS and you could control Apps on it via an iPad. Plus having it be the iPad 'wireless dock', if you will -- an in-your-home cloud for software updates and backup that had been rumored. Well, we'll see what this new Airport Extreme looks like. Hopefully with a new FCC filing, it's a new device. Maybe...
On the one hand, it'd be very easy to upgrade to Lion via the App Store, so delaying hardware doesn't make sense in that regard. On the other hand, Apple may want you to have your new machine with 'the whole new experience' -- so that you're not suddenly getting used to Snow Leopard (if you're a new user), then suddenly switch to Lion and have to learn a new system. I've got cash in hand for a Macbook Air, whenever they become refreshed. I also wanted a Mac Mini...
Ethics is different in China. Think about the copying of software that we call 'piracy', but many over there feel is just fine. It's interesting to watch these things play out on the global stage. Does 'The West' have a right to impose its values on other nations? Is China obligated to play by Western rules? Are our (Western) ethics and morality better? Do we impose these things on other cultures?