or Connect

Posts by Socrates

Samsung's counter image is ridiculous. They are trying to prove a negative by saying "look, here are a bunch of phones we've made that don't rip off iPhone, ergo none of our designs rip off iPhone"   The fact that Samsung still make (less successful) phones based on their old designs does not diminish the fact that some of their new designs are direct copies of the iPhone and iPad.   To prove their case they don't need to produce examples of new designs that *don't*...
  Some people would argue that the primary benefit of the fall of the Iron Curtain was that the Cold War ended before Russia or America nuked each other and started World War III.   But you're right, I think those people are failing to see the big picture here.
  Apple never said they were getting rid of UDID. What they've gotten rid of is the public API for apps to read the UDID.   In other words, the UDID is still there, and still used by Apple for device identification, but third party apps are no longer allowed to make use of it for tracking users.
  Amazon's business model is almost the diametric opposite of Apple's. Apple provides content to sell hardware, Amazon provides hardware to sell content.   Amazon don't care about the phone business, but people consume media on phones and Amazon want people to buy those media from Amazon, not Apple or Google.   They'll most likely subsidise the Kindle phone heavily, just like they do with the Fire. If they could give it away, they would.
Remind me again, why are analysts' opinions newsworthy?
You're confusing the processor with the OS. iOS software won't run on an ARM Macintosh any more than Windows software will run on an Intel Mac. It would make it easier/faster to virtualize iOS on Mac OS if Mac OS was running ARM (in the same way that the switch to Intel made it possible to run Windows much faster under VMWare), but is anybody actually crying out to use iOS apps on Mac? It might be fun in a few cases, but it would be a novelty at best. iOS apps are designed...
Of course there are, this isn't news to anybody. You'll find anecdotal evidence of idiots using just about any platform or device. But what's under discussion here is what the majority of users on each platform are doing. That's much harder to prove with anecdotal evidence. If you work in customer service you mostly deal with idiots all day long because the smart users generally fix their own problems and never call customer service. I don't know if it's true that the...
iPhone 5 doesn't make much sense since it's the sixth generation, and iPhone 6 doesn't make much sense as the previous model was called 4(s). My guess is that it will be called "the new iPhone". iPhone, like the iPad, iPod and Macbook has reached the point of incremental evolution. If they call it "5", people will have expectations of some amazing new feature, but in fact there's not much they can do now except make it faster, thinner, better battery life, etc. Apple...
In what way is "I want it thinner, lighter, with longer battery life and with more ports" imaginative? Obviously everyone wants a thinner, lighter, more expandable device, not to mention cheaper, faster and more user friendly. Thinness/lightness and battery life/extra ports are opposing requirements. If you add more ports and increase battery life, the device gets thicker and heavier. If you make it thinner and lighter you reduce battery life. Apple already make the...
For most people, "memory" and "RAM" are synonymous, so saying it has 8GB of memory and 512MB of RAM is a bit confusing. Why not describe the 8GB as "storage" or "flash"?