or Connect

Posts by Socrates

I take it that the new Intel chip isn't 64 bit. Seems a bit of a retrograde step in that respect - any comments?
Well, OK. But they still aren't going to put a tacky Intel Inside sticker on their iMacs.
Apple does not do things because they make "business sense". If they did they would have 90% market share. Apple does things because they (or rather, Steve) things they are the right thing to do. This way Apple's users can maintain a confidence that Apple is trying to act in their best interests. People get excited about new Apple products precisely because they know that Apple doesn't compromise on quality for the sake of mainstream salability issues. That's why...
What have we told you about making plastics without adequate ventilation...
It occurs to me that using flash as swap space has no benefit over using old,slow ram. It's probably faster than flash, and perhaps even cheaper. Presumably sufficiently slow ram is reasonably cheap - the only reason why modern ram is so expensive is that it has to be fast. There is no reason why a ram cache would need to be persistent - the only reason why the hard disk is used is because it's the only available storage when the ram runs out, not because the...
I believe it has something to do with spin up/spin down. Hard disks take longer to get going than flash (a couple of secs), during which time they are slower. It is also advantageous to avoid spinning up the hard disk more often than necessary to preserve its lifespan, and it is probably desirable when putting a computer into sleep mode if its hard drive doesn't continue to whirr for several minutes as you manhandle it into your rucksack, risking damage to the drive, and...
I think you missed the point here, it's not that a new case might have problems in and of itself - it is that a new, tiny powerbook case might cause problems for the new Intel chips with respect to heat management. The giant aluminum G5 tower is already designed for hot desktop chips (the G5), and has plenty of room for air to circulate - it would have been very surprising if there had been any ventilation issues with putting a P4 in there, which has already been proven to...
Well fair enough. In that case I withdraw my accusation.
I'm intrigued as to why someone who had never looked twice at a Mac (sorry, MAC) until the latest generation of iBooks would have any kind of opinion about the Newton - a machine which predates any of your experiences with the platform by about 10 years? This sounds very much to me like the ramblings of a troll who's done a search for the 'top ten topics that cause passionate rants on AI' and is trying his luck at regurgitating them.
Wow, that's possibly the worst website I've ever seen. Having every page be a separate fixed-size image - the mind boggles at what they can have been thinking. They haven't even bothered putting in meta keywords - I'd love to see what Google's spider made of that site. Probably won't even find the word "camera" on there.