or Connect

Posts by Socrates

Here's my take on this, as a layman who is somewhat familiar with the issue: At the layman's level, Hiro is correct. Hiro is saying the following things, all of which are true: RAM means Random Access Memory, meaning memory where reading/writing any byte has roughly the same access time as any other. This is different from traditional hard disks, where the data must be read sequentially in strips. Main memory is always RAM, but RAM is not always main memory. When we...
Maybe people in Android forums don't like to talk about iPhone for the same reason people in Hell don't like to talk about ice water...
There's only one jerk in this circle.
This has nothing to do with iPad. This is about iPhone and iPod Touch. Retina display iPhone is still lower pixel count than a standard def iPad, so there is no sense in which this is hinting about iPad 3's resolution.
Didn't read the article huh? Sencha is an HTML5 tool for creating widgets using HTML5 and JavaScript.
To say you're "shocked at the ignorance here" is a bit much - I suspect most people who've commented on 2x mode do actually understand it, but it's difficult to explain accurately and completely to non-developers. Technically, drawing on Mac OS now supports true resolution independence, but it doesn't work the same way as the old implementation, and it doesn't do all drawing using vectors, which is what a lot of people would assume resolution independence would...
They already "got real" with it. As of Lion, Apple dropped their old vector-based resolution independence implementation in favour of the bitmap-based approach in iOS. Mac apps can now contain double-res images for use on double-res (retina) displays. I expect no app developers have bothered to implement it yet because no devices support it, but it's there in the OS, and apps that just use standard widgets, vector drawing and text should get the benefits automatically when...
That's easy, the one on the bottom is the iPad. Oh, wait...
No. It doesn't.
What are you talking about? You can't run apps designed for iOS 4.x on iOS 3.x because they rely on software features in the OS that aren't available on iOS 3. The solution? Install iOS 4, which is a free upgrade (and yes, it does run on iPhone 3G). For what it's worth though, I'm a developer, and I am still able to support iOS 3.x with new apps as long as they don't rely on iOS4.x features. It's harder to do because there's a bunch of stuff that's easier on iOS 4.x due to...