or Connect

Posts by Socrates

Ironically what I said was that it didn't exist "in the market" - i.e. a comment about economic viability, which you chose to read as "the technology does not exist".Of course it exists! I bet Steve jobs has one on his coffee table. But that doesn't mean it can be manufactured for under $200, or whatever the component cost of the current iPad display is.Yes the iPhone4 has a retina display. Did you notice that the iPhone4 costs $100 more than the 3GS did when it first came...
Not really. Lets say you have a black pixel and a white pixel next to each other on a screen and then you scale them up by 25%. How many pixels will that cover? The answer is 2.5, with each image pixel covering 1.25 screen pixels. You can't render half a pixel. So instead you have to use anti-aliasing and select pixel colours at averages between the original colours. iOS's quartz drawing can do this of course, but the end result is that your one black and one white pixel...
You're presumably not an iPhone developer - that is exactly what happened with the transition from iPhone 3GS to 4 - the pixels on the iPhone 4 are 1/4 the size of the ones on the 3GS and the same apps run just fine. The OS automatically scales the bitmaps from old apps so that each pixel in the bitmap uses 4 pixels on the screen. The OS automatically upscales any image in an app unless it's named with @2x in the filename - it's pretty clever.Basically iOS4 supports...
Nokia makes good hardware and mediocre software. They always have. I used to love Nokia phones too, back when they were the best hardware and software makers in the mobile game. Then Sony entered and made better hardware. Then Apple entered and made better software *and* hardware - and not just a bit better, astronomically better, so much better that I'm surprised Nokia sells any of their so-called-smartphones at all. Nokia isn't even in the game any more. Sure, if you...
There seems to be a lot of confusion in the replies here. Let me clear some things up: 1) WebM =/= Ogg Theora - Ogg is pretty much dead at this point and the battle now is between H.264 and WebM 2) Google have only said they are removing H.264 from Chrome, not from Android. Android hardware uses pretty much the same graphics chips as iPhone/Nokia/etc and these all have hardware acceleration for H.264 video, and no support for WebM. It is not feasible to switch to...
Most users don't have the technical knowhow to pirate apps regardless of how easy it is. The path to pirate software is: 1) Competent hacker cracks copy protection 2) Hacker uploads cracked app to BitTorrent site 3) End users download cracked app from BitTorrent site So it's irrelevant how secure the apps are, or even if they have any copy protection at all. The same proportion of users that pirate apps normally will pirate app store apps, and the same...
Whilst the point a few posts up (about the grass you remember always seeming greener) is well taken, I'd actually have to agree with the point above as well. It seems like video game plots and hollywood plots are starting to meet in the middle in terms of mediocrity. It can't be long now before games start regularly overtaking their big-screen counterparts in plot subtlety. I just recently completed COD: Black Ops, and whilst the plot twists were pretty obvious, I would...
I did shorten the explanation a little for concision, and yes PKZip did originally support Shrink, but its more important function was as the first archiving tool that used the Deflate algorithm, also created by Phil Katz, explicitly with the purpose of freeing everyone from the shackle of the LZW patent:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFLATEI'll accept that PKZip may have been (slightly) impacted by the LZW patent due to its Shrink support, but the original assertion that...
Dude, get your facts straight!The GIF image format was developed with LZW, which was the best compression algorithm known at the time, and GIF's adoption as the standard for Internet graphics was what led to all the trouble. The trouble, incidentally was due to someone publishing the algorithm in a popular programmer's magazine without saying it was patented. Unisys then bought the patent years later after it was in common use and started slapping patent suits on people -...
That's true, but it still will be unless you are intending to drop support for 3.x devices the moment that 4.2 hits. Most developers aren't. For them it will make no difference. Most of us will still be supporting iOS3.x on both devices until iOS5 comes out, or Apple drops support for 3.x in the SDK, whichever come first. It'll be great for users that the iPad now has multitasking, etc, but for most developers it will just be a quick recompile and re-upload to the app...