or Connect

Posts by Socrates

Steam is basically the Windows equivalent of the App Store for desktop/laptop PCs, except that it is run by Valve (the company behind the hit game Half Life) and not by Microsoft.
I'm not convinced that 3.2.x will ever be released for the iPhone - the only changes in the 3.2 SDK are support for iPad-specific APIs and there's no 3.2 beta OS for the iPhone. My guess is that Apple will just release a unified 4.0 beta for both devices when they announce the next iPhone, and until then we'll just see 3.1.x bug fixes.
There's an option for Safari to use Yahoo for search? Where? Not that I'd want to - I'm just curious where this option might be hidden since having searched for several minutes I've failed to find it in any of the obvious places. It doesn't seem like a very Apple-like feature to let the user select their search engine; surely Steve Jobs decides which is the best one and that's what you get? Socrates
The definition of Augmented Reality in this context (there are other definitions, which are closer to what you are referring to) is the overlay of computer generated objects and information over a live video feed.This allows the user to interact with a virtual world by means of their movement in the real world, either by changing the position of the camera, or by having the camera detect movement that occurs within its field of view using some sort of movement or pattern...
Apple has been behaving rather strangely with respect to web apps. On the one hand they've said that they are encouraging web apps as the way forward for 3rd party iPhone development, but on the other hand they've offered barely any support for this (where are the dev kits or Xcode plug-ins? Where are the dashboard-like local caching and storage hooks on the phone itself?) and all their own apps for the iPhone have been built with Cocoa. My guess is that the web-apps line...
There are already long threads on this subject, but the short answer is: 1) Yes it's because Safari on the iPhone/iPod does not support Flash 2) Apple haven't said why they don't support Flash, but various good theories include that a) Flash is a resource hog on Mac OS X and would drain the battery and cause sluggishness in the UI responsiveness, or b) that Apple is hoping to break Adobe's stranglehold on web media by forcing sites to drop reliance on Flash if they want to...
I agree with the sentiment. Apple TV is only really useful if it replaces existing DVR, DVD, set-top boxes and all the other junk in the living room. If not, it's just another box with yet another remote to keep track of, except that to do anything useful with it you need to pop into the next room and fiddle with your PC. But if this article is right, maybe Apple is playing the long game. Traditional broadcasts and cable/satellite TV are rapidly heading towards...
Okay, having reviewed the evidence, I retract this statement: "I expect that any hardware nerd that hooked up with jobs in the late 70s could have achieved the same success" Most of the rest stands. I mean, are you seriously telling me that you would worship the inventor of the universal remote if they hadn't been involved in Apple's inception? That a maker of GPS and RFID systems is somehow worthy of celebrity status? Breakout was a good game, but Tetris was...
... what was the last "brilliant" or "genius" thing that Woz did? Can you name anything noteworthy he's achieved in the last 20 years for example? Based on comments like this: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/09/11.11.shtml (macs only don't get viruses because nobody uses them) ... or this: http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/24/woz...acescan05.html (apple was stupid to switch to intel, and should ditch the ipod business) ... or even this:...
Uh.... did you check the prices? How is $59.99 for 200 texts and unlimited data better than $39.99 for unlimited texts and data? And how is $59.99 minimum contract better than $19.99 minimum?