or Connect

Posts by Socrates

No, they're just bad. quartx crystal, sexy neon and great displays are all just components. They cost the same for every manufacturer, and if Motorola can buy the parts then so can Apple. Apple is still the undisputed king of industrial design, and they'll have no problem competing on looks or price. Where Apple will want to gain the edge is on usability. If they are planning to release a product into one of these crowded markets, it will be because they've got an idea...
As the article I linked to states, it is obvious that Apple could cheaply expand its market share by selling mini towers with bargain-basement components. In fact if Apple really wanted to take on the PC market they could simply ship a range of Macs preloaded with Windows XP and Mac OS (with Windows as the default to sucker people in) and stick them in all the high-street retailers. The fact that they aren't doing this tells me that this isn't part of the plan, at least...
Content doesn't come from your TV. Content comes from an antenna, or an external tuner or cable box. TVs do not usually have a signal-out option - why would they need one? And how would such a device change the channel on your cable box? And why would you want to hookup a device to your TV so that you could watch TV on your computer instead of on your TV? This doesn't really make any sense, sorry. Socrates
Gartner, a prominent industry analyst has stated that they believe Apple should give up on making hardware and just licence OS X to Dell. The Gartner article needs a registration to read, but it's been picked up by a few places including slashdot. http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/06/10/19/1748225.shtml It's hardly necessary to point out the idiocy of a statement like this on these forums, but here's a fairly comprehensive trashing of any conceivable justification...
Perhaps he used to be Borg...?
I see this is one of those debates that isn't going to be settled in a reasonable period of time. The problem is that you are comparing Nintendo with Apple on a cosmetic level rather than looking deeper. It is true that Sony hardware looks nicer, in fact I own a PSP myself and it is indeed gorgeous - unfortunately it is very shallow by comparison to the DS, and this is reflected in the lack of decent or enjoyable games. Most PSP games are direct ports from other consoles,...
It's hilarious to hear someone on an Apple forum slating the little guy who tries to be different because they are little and think different. Yes, Nintendo, like Apple are the smaller fish in the games market, and just like Apple they are in that position on purpose because they decided to go for idealism over mass-market appeal, and just like Apple they are fantastically successful and wealthy and likely to exist forever with a die-hard core of fans who will buy their...
No, as a heavy Photoshop user I decided to wait until Adobe release an Intel compiled version.
Oh don't be ridiculous! If you didn't read the consumer advice beforehand and somehow managed to miss all the reviews and even Steve's own keynote where it was mentioned repeatedly and clearly that the Adobe Creative Suite was not optimised for Intel yet and would run slower than previous machines, then more fool you. The fact is that you have a blindingly fast, state of the art machine, and in 6 months or so there will likely be optimised versions of most software you are...
That's not true at all. Apple's hardware is beautiful, elegant and powerful in its own right, and if I ever needed a Windows machine, I would prefer the hardware to be made by Apple rather than Dell. While I choose to use Mac OS, I accept that some people don't, and if such people wish to run their crappy virus-ridden ass-hat of an operating system on a sexy Apple branded laptop, who am I to argue? Apple survives because it sells hardware. The more hardware they sell, the...