or Connect

Posts by Socrates

This is probably the wrong forum for this question, but here goes... The answer to this question is a little more complex than you might imagine. Basically, straight out of the box, an Intel Mac (there are no intel iBooks at present btw, you will have to get a Macbook Pro or wait till Apple releases new machines) will not run Windows or Windows software. There is a freely downloadable program from the Apple website called Bootcamp that will let you install Windows XP SP2...
For that matter, why didn't they buy Bungie before Microsoft did? With their newfound hold in the consumer market, games seem like an obvious focus. Their work with openGL suggests that they are quite keen for games developers to port to the Mac, but since OS X there has been relatively little active support for games and game developers. How about Apple buying up some of the popular games dev kits like the Havoc physics engine for example?
Dammit, just when I thought we had a consensus :-)
Don't worry about it, must have been an off-day :-P
Ok, well thanks for all the insightful responses. It seems that on balance I'd be better off getting a 5400 drive in the interests of battery life and investing in more ram if I want better day-to-day performance.
I think he means that larger drives are higher density and therefore have a higher data access rate for the same rotational speed.
3D modelling/rendering, Photoshop, game and application development (XCode, REALbasic), web design, Garage Band, iTunes, gaming, Virtual PC, word processing. And email. Basically I want an all-round powerhouse desktop replacement from which to run my life and my business. I get the impression that this is the purpose for which the machine was intended. Having said that, it is day to day performance issues such as Mail suddenly deciding to stop and think for 5 seconds while...
Interesting... I use my laptop as my primary machine, however I am usually near an outlet, and I have an external 160GB firewire drive, so I guess the consensus here is that the 7200 is probably the way to go. Thanks for all the input, sure beats a Google search
Well, I was going to reply to that but I think Shalmaneser made my point for me. Cheers :-)
I notice that Apple advertise a 7200rpm hard drive as a BTO option on the new powerbooks, but you have to choose between that or a larger 5400rpm drive. Can someone give some opinion as to the real-world performance difference the 7200 would make to application speed? I assume it would help with virtual memory performance a bit, but is it really worth the money? And as someone who tends to fill up their hard disk to within the last couple of gigs pretty quickly,...