or Connect

Posts by ruel24

lol... Yeah, but didn't notice. My nephew had one until it got recently stolen, and a couple of friends have them. I was waiting for the new features. I'm not getting one today, but will within the next 30 or so days, probably. Considering a new Nano, too - divided.I really wish the Touch would have come with the GPS chip. It would be nice for it to double as a Tom Tom. The camera isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice. I'd like to get an iPhone, instead, but refuse...
Funny, it's nearly the same shape, except for the case contours, as the one on the Nano and in the same position as the iPhone's... Besides, it already had wi-fi without that spot. It clearly is a plug for the missing camera...
If any of you have paid attention, Apple always under-promises, and over-delivers. I doubt they would stretch their proverbial neck out to make a fuss over something when it's not ready.
Stations around here broadcast in uncompressed 1080i over the air, and many cable stations have compressed 1080i. I don't believe anyone does 1080p. FWIW, over the air HD is better than cable/sattelite HD because it's uncompressed.
Sometimes you get a good surprise, though. I bought Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night, and it only has 2 hit songs, but the whole album is a listener. There's a couple on there that I'm surprised didn't become hits, like Alta Mira.
First, do people actually still watch videos? I thought that was so '80's... From what I understand from someone I worked with who was in a band that had a major contract with the Metal Blades label (same one Slayer was on), it cost the band $12,000 to record their first record and a single, simple video for MTV and that was all done in a real major recording studio in NY and everything, before Pro Tools was even invented. That was in 1994 money. Still, that's nowhere near...
They just don't get it, do they? The fact is that the music industry has become so powerful that they direct the artists on what THEY want them to do and it's become so bland and lifeless that people just don't care. The days are gone when artists actually had control of their own direction and produced blockbuster albums like Led Zeppelin IV, Exile On Mainstreet, Back In Black, Who's Next... They now commercialize it so heavily, yet the content just isn't there and people...
I believe they lease tower access, so that's fair. I don't believe anyone can just "piggyback" off a cell tower. I can be right next to a tower Verizon doesn't lease or own and have a crappy signal. As far as exclusitivity, I believe it's a double edge sword. Yes, it would be nice to use the carrier of my choice, but then again, if you just commoditize carrier service, they'll probably run the small carriers out of business as the big boys drop prices low enough to squeeze...
Actually, licensing for such services is pretty nominal, such as the Firewire license, which was $.50 per device. A fee of $1 for every device sold would be sufficient and along normal terms. Apple did it with Motorola a few years back, it could easily do it with Palm.
Why doesn't Palm just arrange a license deal with Apple? Then, Apple could benefit from the success of their rival. There really is a market big enough, given that the iPhone is exclusive to a single carrier in a given market, for most countries. I know that iTunes isn't really a money maker for Apple, but the more sold, the more profitable it would be on top of the license fees. I think that heavy handed attempts at keeping iTunes exclusive might bring in some...