or Connect

Posts by addabox

Says the guy that manages to come up with something as incredibly tone-deaf and reality free as "'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking" crowd. Seriously, have you ever been in a Starbucks? There's one about every three feet all across the country, in case you haven't noticed. I mean, at least ragging on Walmart has some basis in reality, whereas your fantasy of the thoroughly conventional, trafficked by every man, woman and child in America Starbucks...
No, Apple didn't invent the smartphone. They completely transformed the smartphone industry by rethinking the basic nature of the device, thereby moving that industry from a marginal geek niche to the massive scale we see today. Anyone that can't figure that out-- that can't see how Samsung is simply following the template Apple created, and without Apple they'd still be making button covered shitboxes-- is too stupid or blinkered to bother talking to. Really, Samsung...
I know you think Samsung can do know no wrong and that each and every one of their products is Jesus, but if you take off the fanboy blinkers for a second you'll realize that Samsung "innovations" in the mobile space are nothing more than endless iterations of what Apple initially created with the iPhone.Bigger and smaller and a stylus are nothing like Apple (and Sony in their heyday) were able to achieve. Fanboy.
But this view doesn't allow for the general definition of "patent troll", which is someone who buys a patent with no intention of ever implementing it, entirely as a matter of seeking out alleged infringers and suing them.The factory analogy doesn't work, in that case, since you would have to have a scenario where someone buys a widget factory that they have no intention of running as a factory, but in the hopes that someone will wander in and try to use is so they can sue...
The problem with home automation systems is the buy-in price. It's not just a piece of software running on a cheap CPU, it's all the programable interfaces to all the outlets, HVAC and media systems in your home. Until they start building smart-homes as a matter of course, with intelligent control on each outlet, port and system and a plugin architecture that's interoperable with some standard, home automation will remain a relatively affluent person's niche market.
A connected TV UI is certainly a place where Apple could leave others in the dust. For all their chest thumping, Samsung makes horrible software. They got lucky with Android, since it gave them a legitimate software platform to build on. Left to their own devices, their stuff is insultingly bad. I mean, I've seen a lot of complaints about the latest Apple TV UI, but compared to the shit that Samsung sticks on their TVs it looks like a work of sublime genius. So if...
I would guess Apple prefers to be free to use the best technology currently available. If they invested directly in Sharp, and IGZO turns out to be a bust, what then? Dive headfirst into the flat panel business and try to out-engineer the competition by driving Sharp to come up with something better? Because that's a really, really expensive way to go. Instead, they can let Foxconn and Sharp do their thing, see if works, and if it does bring boatloads of cash to lock-up...
It's interesting that you mention Sony, because their endless product bloat is arguably why they're struggling. Back in the good old days (like Samsung now) the TV and Walkman cash cows meant Sony could afford to blanket the market with seemingly limitless numbers of products and iterations of those products. Problem being, when markets change and the cash flow isn't so great, all that shit is really, really expensive to take care of. You've got manufacturing costs,...
And just like that, everyone here realizes you're just another sweaty little Google licker with an axe to grind and no idea what he's talking about.
The thing that strikes me is how many different industries appear to be standardizing on the iPad. This uptake is happening much more quickly than previous new platforms. I get the impression that Apple has demonstrated how well suited a tablet is for a multitude of applications, while at the same time being the only one offering the stability, support, road map and ecosystem to be worth bothering with. They invent the market, they define the market, they set the bar...