or Connect

Posts by addabox

Good lord, this thread gets entirely hijacked by some gratingly specious parsing of Gruber's "perks"?   The topic was Samsung's massive and lurid ad spending, as of late.  We could talk about how that makes all of Samsung's customers "sheeple" who are easily swayed by "hype", since that was always the metric for Apple. Right?  People right on these very boards who have assured us that Apple is a great marketing company but little more, seizing market share by clever...
So then MPEG-LA has granted terms to Google for VP8 similar to what they have worked out for H.264-- free forever.   So then why do we need VP8, again?  Wasn't the idea that H.264 was "patent encumbered", and it didn't matter what MPEG-LA said because you just never knew how things might work out and anyway, real open devotees just couldn't stomach even the idea of patents, no matter what agreements might get made?   I mean, we remember, right?  Those were the...
Again, it sort of depends on the magnitude of the behavior.  If I was somewhat callow and lacked empathy 15 years ago and life has taught me compassion, then sure, I would hate to be held to that.  OTOH, if 15 years ago I was into violent street crime, then I would have to expect there would be a lingering stain.  I wouldn't want to forever be treated as a criminal if I had amended my ways, but I would need to understand if people were slow to trust me.  
  Fair enough, I would just say that certain behaviors are sufficiently odious as to swamp out redeeming qualities.  A murderer is generally known as a murder, parenting skills notwithstanding.   I'm not saying Gates is anything as reprehensible as a murderer, of course, just that when we're judging people's facets we're obliged to give weight to particularly notable characteristics, for good or ill.
Still don't understand why "business" is some special provenance of human activity that apparently gets a pass if you **** people over.  "Dog eat dog" is an expedient phrase to normalize this idea, it's not some fundamental principal or moral philosophy.   Capitalism as currently practiced by corporations has chosen, for obviously self serving reasons, this idea of winning at all costs as being somehow right and good, in some deliberately vague social Darwinian...
  Why?  Is business somehow exempt from questions of morality?
Consider that the horror of PO might shock some posters into never bringing up politics again....
  Again, I think it's a bit of a red herring to even imagine that MS was in these markets.  They made some devices that get called by the same names, but for all practical purposes the things they sold as, for instance, tablets and the iPad are completely different products, with completely different reasons for being.
I know it gets cited all the time, but it might be worth it to take another look at the famous "Ballmer laughs at the iPhone" video.   He dismisses the iPhone because it's too expensive and doesn't have a keyboard (so it's not "a good business machine").  He expresses satisfaction with, specifically, the Motorola Q, which is "$99 on contract, it's a very capable machine, it'll do music, it'll do internet, it'll do email, it'll do instant messaging, so I kinda look at...
  I feel for the plight of the inveterate iCrank, obliged to do battle with the incredibly fanatical Apple users in his head.....