or Connect

Posts by addabox

Quite possibly, but I don't think Apple means to imply the 15" MacBook Pros aren't portable just because they offer the Air.  The idea is that if you seek something as portable as possible, you will be willing to make some tradeoffs.  So I could see the  "big" iPad as continuing as the flagship, with the iPad Air giving you that extra dose of portability (again, with implicit tradeoffs, in this case screen size and resolution).  So if you're doing some Garage Band work...
  Those are pretty good points.  I like Gruber's reasoning on this, however, that it's possible that an 8" iPad will be noticeably thinner and lighter than the existing model.  Enough so that Apple might want to foreground those attributes with the "Air" designator, implying (as in the case of the laptop) that you're trading some stuff (screen size, resolution) for super portability.  You're right, there can't be the differential that exists between laptops, but perhaps...
  Sure, but we can judge quality of sources and how willing they are to say things outright.  The tone of referenced article makes me think that he's gotten off the record confirmation from someone at Apple, so he's not at liberty to just come right out and say "Apple told me."  This allows Apple to maintain its aura of not commenting on unreleased products while sending stronger than usual signals to the market to hold off on choosing a 7" tablet till we see what Apple...
I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.   By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  John Paczkowski  just flat out says "confirmed"...
A striking thing about these kinds of threads is that weird undercurrent that Apple is actually being shitty for withholding their designs.  That everything Apple does is right and good and proper and obvious, but that Apple itself is wrong and bad and greedy and pointlessly litigious.  Like they're illegitimate squatters on some kind of innovation mine, and trying to hoard the proceeds goes against all notions of justice.   It must be terribly galling for the haters...
And if Samsung insists on rolling out more of these retail outlets, we get to hear about how Apple and Apple defenders are claiming that "Apple invented tables" or "Apple invented glass front stores" or "Apple invented product displays" and how ridiculous Apple people are and how they have this need to pretend like Apple invented everything.  Because there's no such thing, see, as a cumulative effect of lots and lots of design choices that work together to create the...
Yikes.
As has been mentioned in response to those people who are satisfied with their STB interface, that misses the point.  "TV" is no longer a matter of tuning in to see what's on, or even time shifting via a DVR.  It is an multi-screen, on demand activity, mixed with all kinds of input streams and easy transfer between devices.   The challenge for Apple would be to find a way to elegantly integrate all these options into an easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to access...
  Still, if the actual attributed quotes are accurate (I'm assuming they are, it would be a bit much to make up actual dialogue for Cue) then it's not unreasonable to conclude that Apple is unlikely to make a big TV move of the sort that has been so enthusiastically predicted as of late.   I mean, if content aggregation is an insurmountable obstacle, as Cue observes that it is, then..... there's really nothing for Apple to do.  They can certainly update the existing...
  Sorry, this is just nonsense.   When Apple opened the first Apple Store, there wasn't another electronics retail operation in the world that looked remotely like it.  Anyone can see the allover design and style is unique; trying to blur the distinctions by getting vague ("information holders on display cabinets" as if that spoke to what makes an Apple Store an Apple Store) or doing the old post hoc inevitable tap dance ("clean, modern, stylish, and on-trend regarding...