or Connect

Posts by addabox

OK, maybe I'm missing something.  What I'm seeing is the metal portion of the new dock connector being about half the length of the metal portion of the USB connector-- that is, the part that plugs in, not the plastic case, which is irrelevant (I mean, I assume so, people seem to be worried about how far the new dock connector would insert into the phone, or even that it might not go all the way in--not if there's an extra quarter inch of plastic on the grip, which...
Yeah, I don't know where people are getting this "why is it so long" thing.  Looking at the picture (as has been mentioned) it appears to be about half the length of the USB connector, which is exactly what the current dock connector is.     I think maybe the fact that it's so much narrower is making people see it as much longer?  
  "Colorways."  Used to be a term exclusively used by the graphic design and interior decoration industries, referring to collections of shades deployed across ad layouts or room and being a slightly dumb sounding specialized term for "color scheme." Then pretty recently I noticed it getting used to describe the two or three colors on bikes ("Awesome colorway on your ride, bro").  Here it is, apparently meaning either black or white.  So we've got a generation of 20...
  So then Jobs, who showed little interest in big heavy desktops and clearly saw the future of computing as being mobile and ubiquitous, and who certainly never bothered with the often clamored for xMac, lacked "balls"?  Was a "tool" who was only good at "managing the status quo"?    So I guess the idea is you wait till Jobs is gone so you can claim the fact that Apple (still) doesn't make the machines you personally want is an obvious sign of decline.  And if anyone...
So one thing I wonder about:  the current dock connector provides mechanical stability via width-- fully half that of the iPhone.  Even then, I often feel a bit unsure of some dock connections, with a bit of lateral wiggle making it feel like it would be easy to knock things to one side or torque things a bit and do some damage.   So how secure would a much narrower dock connector be in applications like sound docks?  I would hope that either the shell of the male...
Yep, I think your image is apropos.  Usually when we say "train wreck" we mean something went off the tracks, but what MS has got going really does seem like sending locomotives in opposite directions on the same track with the hope that they'll somehow fuse mid-journey into a mighty super train.    This may be the endgame for Microsoft's famous culture of silo-ed competitors working at cross purposes. A shotgun marriage of components that just don't fit together all...
Just to follow up on Dick's link to the Ars article re Office on RT tablets:   This is exactly what I've been suspicious about all along.  Apple chose to make a hard and fast distinction between iOS and OS X because the use cases are so different.  Same code base, but wildly divergent UI parameters.  MS, on the other hand, can't escape the Windows and Office Everywhere Deathray, so they claim "no compromises" while sort of casually eliding the issues inherent in...
Maybe we could leave the activation numbers debate for another thread and talk about Motorola, Google and what it all portends.   I'm struck that this news comes hard on the heels of Google's announcement of a flagship tablet built by Asus.  What does that tell you about how well they regard the hardware expertise of the company they just bought?  OK, you say, it was never for Moto's manufacturing or hardware design chops, it's all about the software patents...
  Your scenario sounds........ unlikely.  
Man, it sure hasn't taken long for the memory of Jobs' legendary love of secrecy to fade......  Time was the comments on an article like this, regarding a manufacturing supplier shooting off his mouth about upcoming Apple products, would have mostly been taking bets on how long it would take Apple to have Gou fired, or killed, or fired then killed.  We could have been pretty sure that at the very least Gou would get a very, very unpleasant visit from Steve, and we would...