or Connect

Posts by night9hawk

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that neither of the new iMacs have a FireWire port on the back. RIP...
From a Wikipedia article:In 1987 swimmer Lynne Cox swam the two miles (3 km) between the Diomede Islands from Alaska to the Soviet Union in 40 °F (4 °C) water during the last years of the Cold War. So I guess you could see Russia from parts of Alaska!
I would glady forgo the urge to create 24/7 streaming content to maybe 2-3 hours a day of quality content. We've all seen what happens when you have a large number of streams-cable tv-and a need to program 24/7. Do we really need more Lady Hoggers or Lizard Lick Towing?
I'm in the "no locked phones" camp. Having just bought 2 unlocked iPhone 4S phones last month-one for me and one for my son-I was able to sign a 2 year contract with T-Mobile for $60/m. (Unlimited talk/text/data) Which is significantly lower than what I would have paid if I had signed up with AT&T/Sprint/Verizon PLUS my phone is ready for a pay-as-you-go microSIM card when I make my next trip to Europe. I'm free to pretty much do as I wish with MY phone. Now if only that...
I pity you because you never got to experience the joy of squirting stuff at other people using your Zune. Or become part of the Social. Your life is that much poorer as a result...
...when Steve Jobs explained a couple of months ago why we would not be seeing a touch-screen iMac. Arm fatigue sets in rapidly when using a vertically-oriented screen which makes heavy use of it almost impossible.
I suspect that the online subscription price is higher because they can't get as much ad revenue from online subscribers; the difference in price is to make up for that lost revenue.
They'd go broke trying to provide LTE to rural areas in the USA first. Once you move away from the east and west coast of the USA population densities drop dramatically. Add to that the shear size of the USA. It's not unlike the discussion regarding passenger rail; for the majority of areas in the USA it's just not cost-effective to deploy such a service. Especially if you're going to start in areas where you can't make a profit.
Steve Jobs is smart enough to know what might happen if a product is announced too soon, especially if it replaces an existing product.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
My all-time favorite Apple rumor was one that came out a few years ago on one of the more disreputable Apple rumor sites. It claimed that Apple was preparing to release a new type of mouse at the upcoming MacWorld NY convention. The mouse was supposedly shaped like a human foot and they even posted a very crude drawing of what the mouse was to look like. (It looked like one of those plaster casts of a Bigfoot footprint.) Compared to that nonsense today's rumors about the...