or Connect

Posts by night9hawk

Age-old dilemma? Maybe for somebody under the age of 25 it seems like an age-old dilemma. Cheap used PCs are really easy to get.
Count me in the "upgrade" group. I held my nose and bought one of the white MacBooks at the end of March because my 12" Powerbook just didn't do what I wanted it to do. I wanted a small Mac laptop that had built-in Firewire and the white one was the only one unit that fit the bill. It did what I wanted it to do but I never really felt comfortable with it. But when the new 13" MacBook Pro systems came out I figured a way to buy one and pay for it by selling off the old one....
I really don't think this has anything to do with Steve Jobs or his health. Early January is a lousy time for new product announcements, which is what everybody expects at MacWorld. Just think about it-all those people who got iPods/Macintosh/iPhones for Christmas find out two weeks later there's a new model available and what they got is on sale for 30% less. Or think about all those times they announce products but won't ship them for a couple of months. They have to...
How about MacWeek? I still have a few copies of it sitting around. It's hard to believe that they could churn out such a large WEEKLY publication. The Internet certainly killed that sort of publication.
Dying quickly and painfully. I attended the London Creative Expo back in October. Up until this year it was the Mac Expo but they had to combine Mac/Creative/Linux into one expo. Even so it was a pitiful show, especially compared to previous years. Adobe was the only major company at the show-Apple and Microsoft were nowhere to be found. About 2/3s of the floor space was dedicated to user groups and a couple of local hardware/software vendors. If I hadn't gotten a free...
If you notice I mentioned the Ethernet port on the unit was dead.
My problem is not the weight so much as the size. I travel via airplane several times a year and I tend to travel light. I have one piece of luggage-a carry on bag-which I take with me. It has a detachable backpack that I put under the seat in front of me. It's that backpack that usually contains my laptop. The 12" Powerbook/iBook fit into it quite nicely and the 13" MacBook just barely fits into it. Which means the 15" MacBook Pro is out of the question for me. I just...
I'm rather late to this whole debate since I've been on vacation for the past two weeks. I think one argument that isn't getting enough of a hearing in this situation isn't so much the merits of FireWire vs USB 2/3 but the fact that the new MacBook computers only have two multi-purpose I/O ports now as oppose to the 3 that are available on the old MacBook computers. If I have a printer, iPod and a backup/data HD I'm now one port short. I know hubs are cheap but still it's...
Apple/Steve Jobs wouldn't touch "Funnest Holiday Line Up" with a 100' fugu stick.
I doubt you'll see that sort of pricing, especially with the current drop in the value of the pound vis-a-vis the dollar. I've been making beer money the past couple of years by bringing a Mac Mini or MacBook with me on my trips to the UK and selling them to people I know in Birmingham. Typically I'm making about £50-£60 per system and I'm still beating the prices you're listing. But I'm strictly a low-volume sort of seller AND I'm dealing with people I know already. I...