or Connect

Posts by night9hawk

They'd go broke trying to provide LTE to rural areas in the USA first. Once you move away from the east and west coast of the USA population densities drop dramatically. Add to that the shear size of the USA. It's not unlike the discussion regarding passenger rail; for the majority of areas in the USA it's just not cost-effective to deploy such a service. Especially if you're going to start in areas where you can't make a profit.
Steve Jobs is smart enough to know what might happen if a product is announced too soon, especially if it replaces an existing product.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
My all-time favorite Apple rumor was one that came out a few years ago on one of the more disreputable Apple rumor sites. It claimed that Apple was preparing to release a new type of mouse at the upcoming MacWorld NY convention. The mouse was supposedly shaped like a human foot and they even posted a very crude drawing of what the mouse was to look like. (It looked like one of those plaster casts of a Bigfoot footprint.) Compared to that nonsense today's rumors about the...
Age-old dilemma? Maybe for somebody under the age of 25 it seems like an age-old dilemma. Cheap used PCs are really easy to get.
Count me in the "upgrade" group. I held my nose and bought one of the white MacBooks at the end of March because my 12" Powerbook just didn't do what I wanted it to do. I wanted a small Mac laptop that had built-in Firewire and the white one was the only one unit that fit the bill. It did what I wanted it to do but I never really felt comfortable with it. But when the new 13" MacBook Pro systems came out I figured a way to buy one and pay for it by selling off the old one....
I really don't think this has anything to do with Steve Jobs or his health. Early January is a lousy time for new product announcements, which is what everybody expects at MacWorld. Just think about it-all those people who got iPods/Macintosh/iPhones for Christmas find out two weeks later there's a new model available and what they got is on sale for 30% less. Or think about all those times they announce products but won't ship them for a couple of months. They have to...
How about MacWeek? I still have a few copies of it sitting around. It's hard to believe that they could churn out such a large WEEKLY publication. The Internet certainly killed that sort of publication.
Dying quickly and painfully. I attended the London Creative Expo back in October. Up until this year it was the Mac Expo but they had to combine Mac/Creative/Linux into one expo. Even so it was a pitiful show, especially compared to previous years. Adobe was the only major company at the show-Apple and Microsoft were nowhere to be found. About 2/3s of the floor space was dedicated to user groups and a couple of local hardware/software vendors. If I hadn't gotten a free...
If you notice I mentioned the Ethernet port on the unit was dead.
My problem is not the weight so much as the size. I travel via airplane several times a year and I tend to travel light. I have one piece of luggage-a carry on bag-which I take with me. It has a detachable backpack that I put under the seat in front of me. It's that backpack that usually contains my laptop. The 12" Powerbook/iBook fit into it quite nicely and the 13" MacBook just barely fits into it. Which means the 15" MacBook Pro is out of the question for me. I just...