or Connect

Posts by Bowser

Those of you screaming that such a move makes no sense aren't seeing the bigger picture here... A smaller phone, as one earlier poster said, a 'feature phone' that works primarily as a phone and an ipod and can serve as a wireless tethering device for an ipad makes perfect sense. Lots of people have both an iphone and an ipad; why duplicate the functionality of the ipad in the iphone when you don't need it if you already have an ipad? For those of you who don't...
Please define what you mean by "inherently" and "impossible". The simple fact is there is already functional voice recognition even in iPhone apps, and there are highly functional voice recognition systems that have been developed, some by DARPA. So your claim that voice recognition is "impossible" is either you being uninformed, or badly misunderstanding what "impossible" means. Also, please define what you mean by "artificial intelligence", and "think". What is...
If their awful overpriced and substandard V-cast and other content services aren't removable from it, NO WAY. V-cast is total crap in every conceivable way. I don't think they're going to see many converts if they're going to be forcing V-cast down people's throats. My contract with AT&T and my 3Gs is up this summer. I also have been quite satisfied with AT&T's service, with the one notable exception that it took them almost three months to get my bill right every...
More trash. I pity those of us who are forced to use this crap for their work or the like... I only have Office 2008 installed for legacy document use and Excel. (Sorry Steve, Numbers just isn't up to even casual spreadsheet use.) As it is, I wish I could go back to 2004 to get something that works decently. 2008 on my MBP is actually SLOWER than 2004! I will NEVER give so much as a PENNY to M$ ever again.
and why should I care? Office stopped being anything more than an occasional use niche product for me after I installed Office 2008. I understand that some people still are required to use it, and I pity them. No one will cheer louder than I when Monopocrapsoft comes crashing down on itself.
I don't have the time to do a conversion, and it is also distance dependent, but we are capable of perceiving a difference in two lines as small as 8 arcminutes of angle. This is typically measured with the Snellen methodology which is usually at 12, 16, or 20 feet. This size (8 arcmin.) is about 40% the size of a cone receptor at 16 ft.The vast majority of what the brain processes is done so unconsciously. We don't have to wake up in the morning and say to ourselves,...
You know, I'm sorry... I forgot the old internet forum posting rule warning that when you mention you have an advanced education, it will always provoke a comment from a jealous, insecure, hater, trying to feel better about himself by insulting and criticizing those who make the post. This is all over, a few minutes of looking, and you could have saved yourself from looking like a complete asshole. This is one of the first modern studies showing the limits of visual...
I teach vision science in a major California, university, the claims about this display are patently false. First, I'll overlook the claim about what the human retina can display, that's just wrong. The retina doesn't display anything, it's not a projector. Rather, it is an information gather device that has light projected on to it. It's nothing like a display at all. And, even if SJ meant display as in a projection screen, which is only partially correct, it doesn't...
Yes, exactly. I am one such user. I am a university professor and my MBP is my primary computer. I give 4 - 6 lectures a week with it, and use it as my primary machine for research and writing. I do use a dedicated Mac Pro to run my research experiments, and big-job data analysis, and as an informal server. I think it will be a long time before a device like an iPad will be able to replace even my MBP, and could never replace the Mac Pro because it interfaces,...
So wanting to revitalize the manufacturing base in the US is misguided and not beneficial to the world economy? That's Keynesian economics for you... the faulty assumption that natural resources and economic growth is unlimited, employees and facilities are just 'resources', and that profits can always increase if a business is run 'properly'. It's too bad that 99% of the business people and economists in the world still subscribe to that fallacious philosophy. In...