or Connect

Posts by fjpoblam

As for whatever I "have running", it occurs even when Finder is the only app active (confirmed AFAIK by ONYX insofar as what's started at logon). Insofar as "why shutdown" I know that power drain occurs even with a short time away. However, I'll try verbose shutdown as you suggest, to see what's going on. Thanks for all your help, in spite of your other remarks. I'll leave it at that.
All your suggestions *still* do not address the question I originally raised. They suggest *alternatives*! I was asking about the speed of shutdown, not requesting alternatives to shutdown. Okay?
We shut down because, (1) AFAIK, the MBP will continue will continue to draw some little battery, however small, and (2) I would think it a security risk to have the MBP open up from sleep without requiring logon. As for (2), the tradeoff for setting up *required* signon after sleep would be that anytime the screen went to sleep due to inactivity, we'd have to go through the hassle of logon, no? We often shut the lid midday during brief periods of inactivity, but,...
When I first gave up Windows in favor of a MBP, I was delighted with the manner in which a shutdown led to an almost instant black screen. As each new version of MacOS came about, shutdown became a little slower. Now, even if I quit all apps (or think I have) ahead of time, I still get the spinning progress ball on a white screen before the full shutdown comes about. Inasmuch as we shutdown every night, this is rather annoying (though not, of course, earth-shattering). Is...
I'm getting near my limit of iCloud's max 5G. I'd like to clean up. We have two iPads. We've also been using iTunes to sync, e.g., photos. Photos take up the brunt of our iCloud storage, as you might imagine: 3.4G for the Camera Roll, edited pix. I know that iCloud threatens to "destroy" *items on the involved device* when iCloud backup of a select item is turned off. I don't know whether this is also true when the backup is destroyed...   It seems unreasonable to me...
FWIW when displaying the CD in Finder, what gets created is a (virtual?) folder with extension "fpbf". I have no notion as to the meaning of this extension.
This is happening with the same batch of CDs as we used before. I doubt a whole stack of CDs has gone corrupt. This is happening on two MBPs. I doubt both have concurrently broken their Superdrives. I tried (on both MBPs) using the Disk Utility to "Burn" a new CD. No luck! (Info in Disk utility says 0 capacity anyway... even though all apps are listed as usual as "compatible" and R+RW is shown.) Odd that disk utility will erase one CD (which implies the drive is...
In previous releases of OSX, the CD drive "just worked". Yep, no kidding. CD burning was a cinch. From any app, just select "burn", be prompted to insert CD, and let'er rip. Done. Now, nothing but grief.   The system? MacOS 10.8.2. The box? 13" MBP, 4G, 2.66Ghz, SDD, with superdrive slot.   The symptom? This morning, we tried to burn a group of photos to a CD. We were informed the (blank) CD hadn't sufficient space. (WTF?) I opened the disk utility, just to be...
The problem persists for our iPads. My iPhone syncs wirelessly, fine. Our MBPs fail to detect our iPads. I've tried a hard reset, necessitating network reconnect. No help. On connect via cable, *usually* iTunes does the job, but for this. Now iPhoto has a very hard time. During our travels, we download pics to our iPads. Many pics. Upon coming home, we hope to sync them into our MBPs. Using iTunes. Not only does the WiFi sync fail, but cable connect fails to import pics...
I request a gentle few words of advice that I may pass on to mi esposa. She is an avid photographer. She gathers $*1+pot$ of photos, loaded frequently from an SD card to both the MBP and her iPad, and organized and edited via iPhoto. On the MBP, editing is also done via Pixelmator. Syncing is done via iTunes. She often ends up with missing pix, duplicate, and even triplicates, in various edited versions. The edited versions on the MBP (on inspection by me) will show -1,...